show off your Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds

heritagehabitatfarms

Songster
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
clinton ar
i am interested in getting some Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds and would like to see some pics... also any info... i have seen some pics on hear before but now i cant find them
sad.png
.... also i have heard of a strain? of Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds called Dark Mahoney... what is the difference between them and the normal ones??? also where did you get yours??? and do you sell them??? pls list eggs,chicks,or adults ect... also sandhill sells them are there any other places that sell them and how good is there stock???
thanks for the help and pics....

Last edited:
Quote:
also i have heard of a strain? of Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds called Dark Mahoney... what is the difference between them and the normal ones???

Do you mean Dark Mahogany? If so that is just the color they should be. All Rhode Island Reds should be a Rich Red color sometimes called Mahogany..

what is the difference between them and the normal ones

The rich red color are bread to the APA standard for the color.

where did you get yours???

My line of RIR's are from two different breeders. The male side of my line came from Dennis Myers who is no longer breeding RIR's and the female side is from Dick Hortsman a breeder in PA.

and do you sell them

Not at this time. I wont be selling any thing from this line for about 2 more years. By then I should have them the way I'm looking for. Till then all extras/culls I have go to 2 other farms.
(poultry judges that are working with me on this line)

Here are some of my birds. Sorry there not in the best of condition they were going into a molt at the time.

Young Rooster ( 14 months old )
33115_dsc_0428.jpg

Cockerel ( 6 months old )
33115_dsc_0434.jpg

Hen ( 12 months old )
33115_dsc_0155.jpg

Pullet ( 6 months old )
33115_dsc_0401.jpg

Day old chick
33115_picture_024.jpg

For more information on Rose Comb RIR's try here
http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id13.html
You can ask questions about RIR's go to
crohio then click here to go to CROHIO Breed Club Message Board Forums then click Rhode Island Red Club of America....

Chris​

Last edited:
ahh yep it was yours that i saw the photos on hear before... very nice looking birds
smile.png

**Do you mean Dark Mahogany? If so that is just the color they should be. All Rhode Island Reds should be a Rich Red color sometimes called Mahogany..**

you are probably right... the guy i was talking to listed them that way... i thought it could be a strain name or something...

he does not ship and lives 9+ hours away from me
sad.png

**My line of RIR's are from two different breeders. The male side of my line came from Dennis Myers who is now out of the RIR's and the female side is from Dick Hortsman a breeder in PA.**

do you have an email for Dick Hortsman??? does he still sell them???

i have always liked the RIR but i am trying to concentrate on the rare or endangered breeds... so these will be perfect
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

thanks for the info

Dick hortsman does sell and ship but only from I would say May till August if I remember right.
I cant remember his E-mail at this time..
In the spring if you go to eggbid com and search for dickschicks that would be him.. He is a APA judge and his wife is the secretary for the APA..

Chris

Your welcome..
Like I said he does ship but not this time of the year..
I believe he sell the eggs for 15.00 a dozen and chicks at 125.00 for 25 then shipping on top of that..

Chris

Try over at crohio..

(crohio com) then (click here to go to CROHIO Breed Club Message Board Forums) then
(click Rhode Island Red Club of America)....

Chris

Back
Top Bottom