Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Hi! Yes he has a name...it is Soccor, he looked like a little tiny soccor ball when he was real young.
I haven't used him yet, plan to this spring.
The avatar pic is a sister to him.
Here is the other side.
tongue.png

ooops wouldn't let me load it!

I got the sire to these Paints from Elite Silkies and he did a super job for me, high percentage of Paints and never any pink skin, always dark eyes and lots of foot feathers and beards.
The Paints have been very good to me.
Cheryl

Sonrise, where exactly are you in Oklahoma? I am in Fort Smith, it might be worthwhile for me to pick up some birds or eggs from you if you aren't too far away. Like I said, I didn't have much luck with silkie_sue genes. I have some coming from Shayna in Iowa, but I'd like to diversify my genes as much as possible. I am especially looking for a young paint showgirl cock just like the above photo, but shipping for birds is ridiculous, now. Also trying to hunt down good black (not split) birds.

I am in south central OK, just of 1-35 south of OKC.
I don't sell eggs or ship birds, if and when I have some for sale they can be picked up here or I'd try and meet somewhere with them.
I was also looking for a good Black but since not finding what I wanted decided to breed Paint to Paint this spring. No telling what to expect.
I imagine it is very disappointing to hatch chicks with pink skin. I'm sorry you had this happen.
I notice your little avatar chick is so darn cute but also has light beak, nice dark eyes though.

Showgirls have been around now long enough to be pretty perfected, but adding the Paint gene is another new challenge.
Keep working on it....anything worth having is worth the work involved in getting it right.
The rewards will be much more appreciated, don't you think?
ps....if I don't get it fixed on here......my website is www.sonrisesilkies.net [NOT .com
]
Cheryl

I don't sell eggs or ship birds, if and when I have some for sale they can be picked up here or I'd try and meet somewhere with them.
I was also looking for a good Black but since not finding what I wanted decided to breed Paint to Paint this spring. No telling what to expect.
I imagine it is very disappointing to hatch chicks with pink skin. I'm sorry you had this happen.
I notice your little avatar chick is so darn cute but also has light beak, nice dark eyes though.

Showgirls have been around now long enough to be pretty perfected, but adding the Paint gene is another new challenge.
Keep working on it....anything worth having is worth the work involved in getting it right.
ps....if I don't get it fixed on here......my website is www.sonrisesilkies.net [NOT .com
]
Cheryl

Do you have the paint showgirl roo available, still?

So happy to find a showgirl thread!!! I only have one showgirl my self but hoping to breed her for more. I will be taking a pic of her today so I will hopefully post a pic tmr. I would love to hear what ppl think of her as I'm new with the breed. :D

Okay, some questions from a total newbie on Showgirls... I've read quite a few posts but am still confused.

I had a turken hen that I crossed with a silkie rooster (actually she was running with two roosters, a black and a blue). All the babies are from these 3. This is what I have of their offspring:

2 NN, standard size, with regular feathers. One rooster, one hen. Grey skin. 4 toes.
2 standard size hens, black skin, 5 toes, blue lobes.
1 standard hen, black skin, 5 toes, red lobes.
1 bantam hen, black skin, 5 toes, blue lobes.
I also have several that came out as silkies.

Who should I keep to breed and to what? If I understand right my two naked necks I should cross with silkies... Will the hens that came out with smooth feathers carry the NN gene and be able to produce NN if crossed back to silkies? And the ones that came out silkie are silkie and will always produce silkies?

Help please :) Trying to decide who I should keep to breed for my 2nd generation showgirls and who should go lay eggs for my breakfast :)

Still looking for help with this... I want to make sure:

1) The silkies (even out of a turken egg) will always be silkie if bred back to a silkie (so I can sell them as silkies?).
2) Do the hens that came out with smooth feathers and no naked necks still have the NN gene? If they do have the NN gene and I crossed them back with a silkie what is the % of chance that they can produce a NN?

And yes, I am working on this from scratch :) Totally just for fun. I raise horses and wait years... chickens are nothing, lol. Though if I can find some showgirls locally I'll start a 2nd breeding group (Kansas City anyone?)...

Another question to those who have finished showgirls... how big are they compared to the purebred turken/silkie (I know that standard is bantam size, but I prefer larger birds, curious if anyone has standard showgirls :) ). Also, what size eggs do they lay?

Another question to those who have finished showgirls... how big are they compared to the purebred turken/silkie (I know that standard is bantam size, but I prefer larger birds, curious if anyone has standard showgirls :) ). Also, what size eggs do they lay?
My showgirls are all silkie sized or smaller. My foundation showgirls are very small, so even when crossed out to silkies their babies tend to be teeny...which I love! I have a little black one, Cher, that is about six weeks old and no bigger than my 4 week old silkie chicks. She is perfectly normal in every way, with great toes. I just can't stop squeezing her and carrying her around since she is so daggone cute!
love.gif

Keep us posted on your project! I would love to see progress pix as you go...very fun!

]
Cheryl
Yeah, I do believe I will be selling off my light beaked babies as soon as I can reasonably tell who boys and girls are.
Anyone near Fort Smith interested? They'd not be a bad starting point for a breeding program if you can pair them with nice dark beaked birds.

Back
Top Bottom