Shrink wrapped gosling - advice on how to clean off membrane post hatching ...

Ms_B

Hatching
Apr 27, 2024
Hello all,

I'm a kindergarten teacher. I just hatched some goslings in my classroom. Of the 9 eggs I hatched, 8 hatched beautifully but the last was shrink wrapped. It made a large pip outside the air cell (right end, wrong side of the egg) and then did nothing after that. As the others advanced and it did nothing, I thought it might have died. I couldn't see the bill by the pip, just feathers. Eventually the hatched goslings rolled the egg and I couldn't see it anymore.

Later, when I removed the dry goslings, I checked the egg. It was still alive. The pip was slightly larger and the bill was visible but I could see the membrane was completely dry. I did an assisted hatch. I'm not new to hatching. This is my 14th year, but first time with geese. I've had a couple shrink wrapped babies over the years, but nothing this bad. The membrane was completely glued to the gosling. It took me ages to free it from the egg. I freed it from the shell and removed as much of the membrane as I could but I had to put it back in the incubator when it was starting to get too cold.

I honestly didn't expect it to survive the night, it was so weak. But this morning, I came in to a standing and alert, if a little weak, gosling staring up at me through the top of the incubator. When I went to give it some Polyvisol at recess, I saw that it had a very large clump of poop dried over its vent. I bathed it in a warm bowl of water until I was able to break the clump up and put it back in the incubator with some food and water. That helped its body fluff up a little bit but the neck and head are a complete mess. There's a large piece of membrane plastered to the neck, smaller pieces on the back, and the feathers on the head are flattened. I gave it another warm bath after school and managed to get a little membrane off its back but I didn't want to stress it out too much so I stopped there. It's now in a brooder with my call ducklings (they hatched at the same time in a different incubator). I don't want to put it with the other goslings because I don't think it would fare well in the other brooder.

Has anyone had experience removing such extreme shrink wrapping from a baby before? I'm not sure how I'm going to get the membrane off the neck. It is so badly glued on there. Other than soaking it for a long time (which I don't think the baby will like, since I'll have to submerge it right up to its head), I don't see any other way to get it off.

Sorry the post is so long. I just wanted to give a clear picture of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for any help you can provide. My class has named this gosling Lucky.

What someone on this forum told me to do, and it worked, was to take a q tip and hot water and gently roll it back and forth over the dried membrane until it comes off. It was extremely slow progress but it did work. I did it not all at once so the duckling wouldn’t be too upset
Good luck with your gosling!

Back
Top Bottom