Sick 12 week old chick, lethargic and emaciated

Mere_poule

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
Hi BYC fam,

Any idea what could be going on with my little chick? She is supposed to be a crested cream legbar and is 12 weeks old. I got her and her sister as day olds to add to my small existing flock of 3. They are vaccinated against Mareks.

I kept them inside and separate from the older hens until about 2 weeks ago. They’re now outside, in a separate part of the coop, visible to the older hens.

I always noticed that her tail wasn’t as high as her sister’s. This week I noticed that she is lethargic, can barely keep her eyes open, and feels emaciated. I can feel her sternum and there’s barely any meat on her! 😞 She only weighs about 1 lbs. Her eyes are both equally dull, and are cloudy looking. She still eats her chick starter feed and drinks water with Nutridrench added to it, although maybe not as often as the other chick. She does scratch around, but most of the time she is just standing, puffed up and tail down, with her eyes closed. The last time I saw her poop, it looked normal, sometimes watery. The other chick is normal.

The lady I got her from suggested I deworm her, so I did with fenbendazole. We are on day 4 of 5 of treatment and there’s been no sign of improvement. I’m also giving multivitamins and giving more concentrated Nutridrench water to her, although only once a day.

I don’t want to lose her but it looks like it’s going that way 😞 I’ve tried introducing 2 other CCLs from another source last summer, and one had a strange muscle paralysis in her legs and died after a month of trying to save her, and the other mysteriously dropped dead at 20 weeks, after she’d already been integrated with the older hens for a month. Any other ideas? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4545.jpeg
    IMG_4545.jpeg
    507.8 KB · Views: 5
I kept them inside and separate from the older hens until about 2 weeks ago. They’re now outside
Photos of her poop?

She just went outside 2weeks ago. I'd treat for Coccidiosis.
You can find Corid at TSC.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Photos of her poop?

She just went outside 2weeks ago. I'd treat for Coccidiosis.
You can find Corid at TSC.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
I started treating with Corid yesterday because I didn’t know what else it could be! These are her poops from this morning. They are liquidy and greenish brown and are quite smelly.

Her eyes are grey and the pupils are both equally dilated and do not respond to light. Is this normal for coccidiosis?

Attachments

• IMG_5211.jpeg
    IMG_5211.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5210.jpeg
    IMG_5210.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 3
I’ve tried introducing 2 other CCLs from another source last summer, and one had a strange muscle paralysis in her legs and died after a month of trying to save her,
I agreee with the first poster and would try treating for coccidiosis first.

Sounds like you could have been dealing with Marek's.

Her eyes are grey and the pupils are both equally dilated and do not respond to light. Is this normal for coccidiosis?
Juvenile eyes are grey before they start getting their color.. but grey iris and not reacting to light is not normal.. and may POSSIBLY be a symtom of Marek's.. as is slow wasting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Sorry for your experience.. it sounds awful.

I hope you see improvements and find answers! :fl

I agreee with the first poster and would try treating for coccidiosis first.

Sounds like you could have been dealing with Marek's.

Juvenile eyes are grey before they start getting their color.. but grey iris and not reacting to light is not normal.. and may POSSIBLY be a symtom of Marek's.. as is slow wasting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Sorry for your experience.. it sounds awful.

I hope you see improvements and find answers! :fl
Thank you for your kind words. I will continue to treat for coccidiosis and hope for the best!🤞 I suspected ocular Marek’s but wasn’t sure because she doesn’t have the pinpoint pupils. But her other symptoms align with the link you sent 😞 I was also hopeful that because she’d been vaccinated that it wasn’t Marek’s. The other chick that I got at the same time has normal eyes and they have started to change colour. Hopefully she doesn’t die too 😞 Thank you again 💕

The symptoms are very typical Marek's symptoms. Marek's vaccination does not work 100%. And it also highly depends on how good you sanitized around them during the first two weeks after they got vaccinations. I had a great success one time with one of vaccinated chicks died and lost half of another batch of vaccinated chicks when they were young pullets.

Can you get clear photos of her eyes?

She's crested. Any chance she was pecked hard in the head?

Does she seem to find food/water o.k.?

I'd continue with the Corid.

Possible that you may be dealing with Marek's. Hard to know.

Can you get clear photos of her eyes?

She's crested. Any chance she was pecked hard in the head?

Does she seem to find food/water o.k.?

I'd continue with the Corid.

Possible that you may be dealing with Marek's. Hard to know.
Sadly she passed. Thank you for your help 💕

Back
Top Bottom