SICK BABY CHICK! HELP!

CelestialChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Hi!

I have one baby chick that's around 4 weeks old. She lives in the coop with my two big hens and 5 other chicks, however she's the youngest one. The baby chicks sleeps in the coop but has a little house with hay where they all bundle up when it gets dark. Yesterday I heard her sneeze really badly, especially during the night (because I went to check on them). I have also noticed that sometimes she gets this bubble in her eye, it's not much, maybe one bubble that quickly pops. She eats and poops well, doesn't seem sick except from the sneezing and bubbly eye. I've been searching the internet for hours, trying to figure out what to do with her.

So far the internet has told me that she may have some respiratory disease. I'm so worried about her because she is really precious to me and my family. What should I do?

Should I separate her from the other chicks and hens and if so, wouldn't she be really lonely because chickens and hens are flock animals. Someone on a forum said that you should separate the sick chick for a week, perhaps 2 even if the chick is cured and good. I may be silly now but I'm new to this chicken raising, but is there any chance that when I put her back the flock won't accept her? Will the pecking order need to be re-established? Or will they recognize her and everything will go back to normal?

All help is appreciated!
/Isabelle

HI I am not sure what it is but I have read some of the other articles from BYC and here is some info that I found.

Hard to say, then. Keep her separate and observe. Provide supportive care (plain yogurt, unfiltered ACV in her water, scrambled eggs for extra protein) and see if it progresses.- This is from a member named "speckledhen" . Maybe you can send them a PM and ask them. I hope that you find something!!

Back
Top Bottom