Sick baby girl

chilman

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2011
I have 3 month sultan, female I think. We thought she broke one of her legs and removed her from her friends and brought her indoors to recover. Gave her warm water epsom salt soaks and checked her leg everyday. She did not seem to be bothered with me moving it around. Then one day her leg was frozen at her knee joint. Her knee joints in both legs are now frozen and she can’t stand up or hold her head up. She just lays there like a puppy. If you hold her she can hold her head up and eat and drink. Has only had a bit of water today. Any idea as to what could be wrong with her. I know she isn’t going to make it just by the way she is behaving.

Give her sunlight as a start my chick had the same problem and I kept her cooped up all day and she got vitamin deficient. also give her vitamins and if she starts to fall from her legs locking up take a box and cut it for her to lay in. If you think she is going to die try to make her as comfortable as possible

I am sorry that no one saw your post until a day later. Sorry about your chicken, but it may have helped to post about her earlier before she became so disabled. She sounds like you would have to place her in a chicken sling, and feed her from now on. I don’t think her quality of life would be very good. I would consider euthanizing her. She may have suffered from leg bone and skeletal deformities which have worsened with age, but that is only a guess. Mareks disease might also have been a problem, but hard to know without seeing pictures. A necropsy could be done to test for Mareks if that is a concern. It can be hard to decide when to put one down, and I certainly do not enjoy doing it. But if the chick is suffering, I would not let him suffer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom