Sick Chicken, something wrong with one eye

Chick3nLover

Songster
Mar 15, 2022
Hi everyone!
This is my first post and I really hope y’all can help me.

I have a chicken who is almost three years old and today I noticed that one of her eyes was completely shut and not opening. She seems to be very slow moving and likes to stay in one spot for most of he day.

I was able to get her to eat some corn and some wet grain however I don’t really know what her water intake is.

My first thing to do whenever one of my chicken acts weird is to give her sovereign silver. I have done this now 3 times today and on the last dose she seemed to perk up.

Symptoms:
Her left eye is the one that was closed however she has very occasionally opened it but it is usually shut as of today.

There seems to be some sort of liquid that is hardening on the feathers under her eye

When she did open her eye for the first time today it was very watery
And I have noticed small light tan bugs gathering around her affected eye on the outside lid

She seems to like to puff up Sometimes

She also likes to just lie down right where I set her

I am not sure what medicine to get if she needs it and I am not sure what is wrong with her.

Please help me out

This is what her eye looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 14
I would keep her away from the rest of the flock for now. She could have Marek's disease, lice/mites, or even Bronchitis. Im not experienced with this though.

Poor hen! It's most likely mites/lice or eye worm, especially if you can see bugs. You said you noticed it today, but how long has she been lethargic? Is her breathing okay, not raspy or wheezy? What about her droppings? I'll tag a few experts to see if they know more: @Wyorp Rock, @azygous, @Eggcessive.

Eye worm is extremely rare. She may have gotten pecked or something in her eye, causing it to close. It sounds like that she may have lice or mites on her, which can cause her to go anemic, lose weight, act lethargic or weak and sometimes death. I would treat her right away for lice or mites as soon as possible. As for her eye, you could use Terramycin eye ointment to see if it’ll help.

Is she sneezing or coughing at all?

Does her eye have any bubbling or pus in it?

How is her breathing? Does it sound raspy, gurgly or wheezy?

When she did open her eye for the first time today it was very watery
And I have noticed small light tan bugs gathering around her affected eye on the outside lid
Where are you located in the world?

Look her over really well for lice and mites. Tan bugs gathering at the eye says to me she has a lice infestation.

You can find Permethrin based poultry dust or spray at stores like TSC. Treat her, your flock and their housing in 7 days intervals.

Flush her eye with saline, clean it out well and apply an eye ointment in the eye like Terramycin.

Eye worm is extremely rare. She may have gotten pecked or something in her eye, causing it to close. It sounds like that she may have lice or mites on her, which can cause her to go anemic, lose weight, act lethargic or weak and sometimes death. I would treat her right away for lice or mites as soon as possible. As for her eye, you could use Terramycin eye ointment to see if it’ll help.

Is she sneezing or coughing at all?

Does her eye have any bubbling or pus in it?

How is her breathing? Does it sound raspy, gurgly or wheezy?
Hi, her breathing seems normal, I here nothing.

I have not heard her sneeze or cough either.

Tomorrow morning we are gonna go get some supplies, do you think I should treat her for lice and mites or eye worm???

I just don’t want to hurt her body with medication if she doesn’t need it, you know.

I am really trying to Gigi out if it is eye worm or lice or mites. Tonight she actually opened her eye for me and I thought i saw like a white-ish streak towards the front of her eye.

But she also has been over puffing her feathers and I think even over cleaning/preening herself.

But the tonight I went and checked under her wings for mites/ lice and really saw nothing except for one brown looking bug.

Anyways what should I buy tomorrow?

Where are you located in the world?

Look her over really well for lice and mites. Tan bugs gathering at the eye says to me she has a lice infestation.

You can find Permethrin based poultry dust or spray at stores like TSC. Treat her, your flock and their housing in 7 days intervals.

Flush her eye with saline, clean it out well and apply an eye ointment in the eye like Terramycin.
Hi, I am located in the US
Also I do think it is lice/mites and tomorrow I will probably be buying all these things for treatment.

Also I don’t know if I am the only one but in order to clean my hens eye she would have stay very still and usually she does not want to. I will try really well though.

Also how do you flush the eye?

Back
Top Bottom