merry go round

Hatching
Sep 5, 2020
I have a leghorn chicken, her name is Munchkin. She's about 16 or so weeks old, and we brought her in the house maybe 2 weeks ago. She had been huddled away from the flock and lethargic. Right now, she's currently in a dog crate. Her shavings get changed regularly and I take her out every so often to let her stretch her legs and get out of the crate. She is weak and can't really jump. Any time she does, she can't jump high enough and falls back down. She can flap her wings and flutter just a bit, along with balance on my arm. We originally brought her in because she had severe diarrhea, which is cleared up now.

She is eating and drinking along with eating some treats when you offer. She talks everyday, crowing and bawking along with pecking at the crate. However, she will stand or lay down and tuck her head close to her body and kind of puff up her feathers a bit. He comb is quite pale and small, and she doesn't really seem to be gaining a healthy red. Her legs aren't scaly and are actually quite healthy. Her feathers are well kept and she is preening and cleaning them. She's pretty used to humans but is still a bit skittish. She's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom fine, but what worries me is that she's still too weak to jump, and when I did take her out into the chicken coop with everybody else, she isolated herself in the run and hunched over, pecking at the ground and didn't have enough strength to jump into the coop without using the ramp.

We did take her to the vet, and they said she was fine, and that she just had severe diarrhea. We don't really know what to do, but she's acting fine with us, but acts sick with other chickens. Any ideas or advice?

My chickens all use the ramp into the coop. You may need to install a temporary lower roost for her in the coop.
Have you added electrolytes to her water?
Leghorns start laying around 24ish weeks, her comb will start turn red when she gets closer to laying.

I'm glad to read that you brought her inside. The vet says she's fine, but You know differently.
We truly need pictures of how it's resting and a picture of her poop.
If you can, attach a video of her attempting to jump and how she reacts.
What are you feeding her?
Could she have received old feed or eaten something with a pesticide on it.
Diarrhea is another problem.
Without any photos/video it's hard to help but, let's do this tonight.
1.Remove her food tonight.
2. Keep water available.
3. In the morning check her crop down on her neck/ breast area.
4. Her crop should be flat. Not mushie feeling or squishing feeling. If its firm, thats different too.
5. If your sure that her crop is flat, feed her a scrambled egg with a little plain yogurt in it or her own feed.
6. Supply her with electrolyte water.
If you dont have any, make some.
Keep her away from the flock in case she is contagious.
7. Check her for mites and lice.
Look under her wings, her vent area ect. Inspect her all over.Put a towel over her if need be.
8. Did the Vet do a stool sample Float test?
Here is a good Article for you to read about Crop Issues. This could easily be the problem.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-treat-sour-crop-and-impacted-crop-and...
Pictures please!
Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a leghorn chicken, her name is Munchkin. She's about 16 or so weeks old, and we brought her in the house maybe 2 weeks ago. She had been huddled away from the flock and lethargic.
She is weak and can't really jump. Any time she does, she can't jump high enough and falls back down. She can flap her wings and flutter just a bit, along with balance on my arm. We originally brought her in because she had severe diarrhea, which is cleared up now.
She talks everyday, crowing and bawking along with pecking at the crate. However, she will stand or lay down and tuck her head close to her body and kind of puff up her feathers a bit. He comb is quite pale and small,
She's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom fine, but what worries me is that she's still too weak to jump, and when I did take her out into the chicken coop with everybody else, she isolated herself in the run and hunched over, pecking at the ground and didn't have enough strength to jump into the coop without using the ramp.
Please post some photos of her and her poop. Photos of housing outside may also be useful.
A video of her moving around may help. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed including treats?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

Back
Top Bottom