Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
Hello friends, I need advice one of my 2 yr old brahmas appears to be sick or at least not feeling 100% I noticed she was lying around and then her sister started picking on her I went and picked her right up (not normal) No runny nose or sneezing or breathing problems is eating and drinking (I separated her into my hospital coop/run) however I noticed she appears to be shaking a bit and her tail is down. Could she be egg bound? How do I check ? Any advice is very appreciated

We need to develop clues. Anything you can tell us about her daily average existence and anything that might be different from a normal chicken existence that you may have noticed recently but discounted due to them being not serious or significant. Taken together, we might make a guess as to what might be causing her to deviate from her normal behavior.

What is your location? Any unusual weather lately? Any predators or problem with pests?

Is she currently laying? Has there been any deviation from normal laying and normal eggs?

Is she molting? Has she been acting differently? Eating less?

Have you checked her crop? If not, do so. The best time to check it is in the morning before she eats or drinks. After a night's rest, the crop should be empty and flat. If it still has something in it, that means a possible crop issue could be getting her down.

Has she ever been wormed? If so, when was the most recent?

Any recent human activities of any sort that might impact the chickens, not matter how insignificant?

Thats what has made this difficult there is nothing differant weather is normal for this time of year her crop is fine I checked her vent all looks fine she has normal poop we dont have a predator problem and for all purposes upon exam she looks fine. She does seem to be limping so that may be the cause however upon exam she does not have bumble foot or any visible injury. She may have bruised it or something. I am contiueing to watch her she is eating and drinking and eating snacks as normal so far she is no worse

Crop? Is it empty? Full and squishy, full and hard and lumpy?

Is she molting?
Checked her crop this morning and its empty it was full last night. She is still eating and drinking she is still limping so I am thinking she has hurt her foot or leg no visible injusry though. She still fiesty when I pick her up to check her out each day so thats good

Back
Top Bottom