Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
We had a bunch of guinea keets hatch last week. One needed assistance as it wasn't in the proper position, but it came out looking normal. Yesterday we noticed it was seeming pretty weak and getting nocked around by the older keets, so we separated it with one other younger keet in a smaller box. This morning neither look good. The first keet is very weak, the second seems to suddenly have a lot of discharge all over its face and won't open its eyes.

I need to find out what is going on because the rest of the keets are supposed to be sold soon but I can't send out sick birds! I also don't want anything spreading to the other poultry on our farm.

We are keeping everyone separated and disinfecting all the brooder boxes. It looks like we will lose the two sick keets because they are already so weak. I would not be surprised if this happened just to the one we assisted in hatching, but the other keet looked perfectly normal and active yesterday.

We had a bunch of guinea keets hatch last week. One needed assistance as it wasn't in the proper position, but it came out looking normal. Yesterday we noticed it was seeming pretty weak and getting nocked around by the older keets, so we separated it with one other younger keet in a smaller box. This morning neither look good. The first keet is very weak, the second seems to suddenly have a lot of discharge all over its face and won't open its eyes.

I need to find out what is going on because the rest of the keets are supposed to be sold soon but I can't send out sick birds! I also don't want anything spreading to the other poultry on our farm.

We are keeping everyone separated and disinfecting all the brooder boxes. It looks like we will lose the two sick keets because they are already so weak. I would not be surprised if this happened just to the one we assisted in hatching, but the other keet looked perfectly normal and active yesterday.
I’m sorry that you are having health issues with your keets! You could try posting on the Emergencies and Diseases forum. Did your separation box have the same heating, water, feed etc as your regular brooder? I’m wondering if there is a possibility that it just didn’t have everything that your keets needed like your regular brooder.

Back
Top Bottom