Sick hen(?)

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
Hey all,

I have a hen who’s pretty lethargic. Noticed it yesterday. She’s sitting around a little during the day which is unlike her , comb is drooping, and she has a pasty green-yellow fecal discharge. She’s also sleeping on the coop floor tonight which is very peculiar for her. Besides that she seems to eat and drink normally. No noticeable weight loss. She’s usually a good layer, very active, 3 year old Amberlink hen. I feed standard layer, occasional grains, and allow open access to grass all day. They always have access to fresh water. I think it might be a salmonella infection from raw egg consumption. She eats eggs when they break, and they break a lot when the hens bicker over nesting boxes. I have 6 for 12 laying hens, they’re just mean to each, and it’s mainly her doing the bullying. I’m going to get more nesting spaces soon to curb this problem. Should I be worried? What should I do to treat her? Thanks for insights.

The poop would indicate some kind of infection. Is she still laying? Check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it’s empty.
Crop was emptied, it’s not a crop issue. I put her by herself just so she can relax and eat without any competition. She slept in a nesting box last night, she never does that. Is there a general poultry antibiotic I could give her? I’m certain it’s bacterial.

Most antibiotics are very hard to get without a vet. Amoxicillin or enrofloxacin are ones you can use, and you might get one of those from a vet or online for pigeons. There is a national shortage of amoxicillin. Your hen sounds like she is having symptoms of a reproductive disorder or infection. If her eggs have been thin shelled, that is one symptom. Her poops are another. Can you post any pictures of the poops? Here is a link for one antibiotic, and dosage is 10 mg per kg twice a day for 5 days. How much does she weigh?
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

Most antibiotics are very hard to get without a vet. Amoxicillin or enrofloxacin are ones you can use, and you might get one of those from a vet or online for pigeons. There is a national shortage of amoxicillin. Your hen sounds like she is having symptoms of a reproductive disorder or infection. If her eggs have been thin shelled, that is one symptom. Her poops are another. Can you post any pictures of the poops? Here is a link for one antibiotic, and dosage is 10 mg per kg twice a day for 5 days. How much does she weigh?
She’s probably 5-6 lbs if I had to guess. I don’t know if her eggs have been thin shelled, but I do know some eggs break often, but I’ve attributed that to the hens fighting around the nesting boxes. When I collect multiple times a day to avoid broken eggs (when I can), they’re all hard-shelled. I could get avian antibiotics pretty easily, I know a vet, it’ll just be a long drive out. I thought I embedded a picture with the initial post but here it is. I’ll get more when I’m home this evening.

Attachments

• BFFDAB2F-D414-4607-9456-E61B740661D2.jpeg
    BFFDAB2F-D414-4607-9456-E61B740661D2.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 1
Going to bump my previous post, she’s definitely on a fast decline. She’s hardly active now and wants to sleep in a corner. Enough strength to move in and out of the coop though. I can’t get her to drink or eat often but I’ve seen her do it. I’ve gotten some SMZ into her yesterday which is a good general-purpose antibiotic, but it doesn’t seem to have made a difference yet. I’m thinking of getting an avian anti inflammatory in her too just to be safe.

That yellow poop is fairly common with a reproductive infection of E.coli. It sounds like she is possibly too far sick to help. Were you able to order antibiotics? They may come in handy later even if you lose her. I have had quite a few hens die from reproductive disorders or infection, and many also had water belly (ascites) which turns the normally white urates yellow. I usually let them be, feed them whatever they will eat, address any crop problems, and when they appear to be suffering or picked on, I will put them down. Then I do a home necropsy to open the the abdomen and look at the organs. It helps you learn what was going on with them. Take pictures of the organs if you do one to post here. Your state vet can do a more complete necropsy and testing. Most chickens will eat raw egg given the opportunity, and salmonella is not as common anymore

That yellow poop is fairly common with a reproductive infection of E.coli. It sounds like she is possibly too far sick to help. Were you able to order antibiotics? They may come in handy later even if you lose her. I have had quite a few hens die from reproductive disorders or infection, and many also had water belly (ascites) which turns the normally white urates yellow. I usually let them be, feed them whatever they will eat, address any crop problems, and when they appear to be suffering or picked on, I will put them down. Then I do a home necropsy to open the the abdomen and look at the organs. It helps you learn what was going on with them. Take pictures of the organs if you do one to post here. Your state vet can do a more complete necropsy and testing. Most chickens will eat raw egg given the opportunity, and salmonella is not as common anymore
I got SMZ from my vet which is what they had/recommended. I used it in the past to treat egg yolk peritonitis(?), and it worked very well. .5 mL a day for 7 days. I’m doing the same thing now, but it doesn’t seem to be doing much. She’s still drinking, haven’t seen her eat though. I was thinking of making her a mashed food this evening which will hopefully appeal to her. I’ve decided to give her meloxicam too and I’ll keep you posted on how that does for her.

Bumping to update on her situation: she’s dead. What she had was quick, she showed symptoms for 3 days before abruptly just passing. Didn’t seem worse this morning when I let her out, but I came home and she was dead. It’s been hours because her body is stiff and cold. Whatever it was I hope it wasn’t very painful. I greatly appreciate your support on this thread and your given insights.

Back
Top Bottom