Sick Hen

Calcium citrate is given once a day when egg bound or laying shell-less eggs. A total of 7 days or until the egg is laid or there is a hard shell. Many hens over 2 may suffer from various reproductive disorders, such as egg bound, salpingitis, infection, soft or shell less eggs, cancer, or ascites/water belly. Instead of repeated soaks, I would place her on a warm towel while the calcium is working.

Cut out the scratch. Get a higher protein feed.
I have a high protein feed as well from a farm feed store. The scratch is usually only once a day but they have stopped laying. I have 12 hens and I have only been getting 3 to 4 eggs a day so I was told to increase protein. It started when I took the heat lamp away. (Please don't judge 😂) They are spoiled and I know it's all my fault.

I have a high protein feed as well from a farm feed store. The scratch is usually only once a day but they have stopped laying. I have 12 hens and I have only been getting 3 to 4 eggs a day so I was told to increase protein. It started when I took the heat lamp away. (Please don't judge 😂) They are spoiled and I know it's all my fault.
Chickens don't like change.
Not judging, just telling you facts. Don't use heatlamps on adult birds unless they're: very sick or wounded or it's so cold hotwater freezes midair.

Calcium citrate is given once a day when egg bound or laying shell-less eggs. A total of 7 days or until the egg is laid or there is a hard shell. Many hens over 2 may suffer from various reproductive disorders, such as egg bound, salpingitis, infection, soft or shell less eggs, cancer, or ascites/water belly. Instead of repeated soaks, I would place her on a warm towel while the calcium is working.
Thank you so much! Like a warm wet towel or maybe hot water bottle covered by a towel? I can’t get her to eat so I don’t know how much calcium she has actually ingested if any 😩

Back
Top Bottom