Sick rabbit

Snowygirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Mirkwood
Hi all,

We just got a 2 year old netherland dwarf buck and he had a small runny nose, and

he just started with diarrhea. Our breeder thinks that it might be a fresh veggie

overload....does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to keep a close eye on him

and see what happens....any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
smile.png

It is true that you should not overload with new veggies and especially fruit (start him off on timothy or another, non alfalfa hay...that really is the safest thing to have as the majority of a rabbits diet, and should be free fed). Kale, broccoli, and some other fresh foods can cause serious digestive issues in *some* rabbits. Research what other things can cause problems, as the list is fairly long compared to many other animals.

But, the runny nose makes me think you are dealing with something else.

I don't know much about rabbits, but could it possibly be because their food was switched in the last week or so? That can sometimes cause a upset stomach in other animals, not sure about rabbits.

Hope he feels better, the poor widdle guy!

Try giving him a little bit of oats (Dried Oatmeal works) maybe a teaspoon or so may help as well. As for the veggie overload I could see that for the diarrhea. As for the runny nose it maybe something else as well, the Oats may help with that as well.

I use Homeo Pet Brand nose remedy. I bought it at my local vet supply store. Its homeopathic and you can put the liquid drops straight into the bunny's mouth or in the food or water. I have used it 2 different times now and after about 4 days my bunny got better. You decrease dosages with improvement. Its possible this can be bought online. I'm really sorry your bunny isn't feeling good. Its a cold/upper respiratory thing. Get the meds as fast as you can! Also this nose remedy can be used on dogs cats etc. not just bunnies. It goes by weight and won't hurt your bunny. Best wishes Hugs to your bunny :)

Back
Top Bottom