*sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em)

Okay, so general consensus is that 25 would be too many?
lau.gif
I put 25 eggs under her last night, I plan to check when I get home from work and if there are eggs out from under her, I'll put some in the bator.

My last broody found a hiding place and she and the other hens filled it with 23 eggs. She sat and hatched 20 of them and the three that didn't hatch were clear! A coon killed her and all but six of the chicks the next night. I repayed the coon in like fashion the night after.

You did the right thing to that coon!

The gals never cease to surprise me. I had a duck that hatched 17 out of 18 eggs once, and you know how big duck eggs are!

It's usually not a good idea to let more than one hen set in one nest, because their squabbling tends to break or otherwise mess up eggs. I once had two Silkies that settled on one nest, and the other Silkies in the pen kept sneaking more eggs under them. I pulled the chicks out from under them as they hatched, and the girls kept right on setting. They hatched more eggs out of that nest that summer! I think one hen stayed on the nest for something in the neighborhood of 3 months before I started marking the eggs, and taking away the new eggs as they were laid. When she finally walked away from the nest with a chick, there were 2 eggs left, and they were both duds.
hu.gif

The gals never cease to surprise me. I had a duck that hatched 17 out of 18 eggs once, and you know how big duck eggs are!

It's usually not a good idea to let more than one hen set in one nest, because their squabbling tends to break or otherwise mess up eggs. I once had two Silkies that settled on one nest, and the other Silkies in the pen kept sneaking more eggs under them. I pulled the chicks out from under them as they hatched, and the girls kept right on setting. They hatched more eggs out of that nest that summer! I think one hen stayed on the nest for something in the neighborhood of 3 months before I started marking the eggs, and taking away the new eggs as they were laid. When she finally walked away from the nest with a chick, there were 2 eggs left, and they were both duds.
hu.gif

Oh, you were wrong for that!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom