Silkie baby with bad legs can you guys help??

horseyjess

Songster
14 Years
Sep 2, 2009
SW Florida
I posted this on the emergency board and didnt get any responce hope you guys can help.....

Ok so at first I thought it had splay leg so I have been putting the bandaid on his legs.. Well the leg looks no better and it just looks odd. What can I do its to cute to cull please tell me this can be fixed The leg looks swollen if you look close and the whole leg points out and he doesnt like to put weight on it...

40479_p3110195.jpg

40479_p3110196.jpg

40479_p3110192.jpg

40479_p3110198.jpg

40479_p3110193.jpg

Ihave no experiance with this but he looks really young. Isnt there a chance he will walk on it later on? I would keep trying if he is eating and drinking. I hope that he will. He is so sweet. Tell me more about the bandaid. I have two with splayed legs.

It doesn't look like spraddle leg since it's standing up. It almost looks like it's foot hurts and it doesn't want to stand on it. I don't know what to tell you (Sorry!) but I feel your pain. Hatching silkies is tough. My last hatch all got wry neck! I looked in the brooder one morning and they were all standing up but their heads were staring face up at the ceiling. That was disconcerting! It's definitely possible it will gain strength in the leg and be fine. Good luck!

Hi, we just went through an ordeal with our silkie chick. His middle toe was curled under but we doctored him with vitamin b and made him a boot with tape. After his foot healed up, he still would not put weight on the leg. After examining him closely, we found that his umbilical cord was wrapped around that leg up near the thigh, and this was keeping him from extending his leg too far. His leg had swollen and it was cutting into the muscle. This had gone on for about a week before we realized what was happening, because he was so fluffy. Three days after cutting the cord off of his leg, he has built up plenty of strength and is using the leg normally. We did leave quite a bit of the cord so as not to cut too close to the belly. My daughter worked with birds in a zoo, and recommended that we do not cut it off completely as it should fall off. We keep checking it, but he is doing just fine. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom