Silkie became a roo today

KingOfFools

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 3, 2015
Southern California - Inland Empire
So I have two White Leghorns, a Buff Orpington, a New Hampshire, a Red Sexlink, and a Rhode Island Red, all big girls. I have two black silkies that are growing up in the same place and a young beautiful Rhodebar. The two silkies started looking different from each other and I knew I was going to have a rooster.

Today I saw him crow his first pathetic crackled crow and I couldn't help but laugh (poor little guy). All of a sudden he attacks me chest out when I go in to the run (I'm in there all the time). He is very protective of the hens, but so small!

I saw him try and mount a mature hen and I though he might get killed by the reaction. Will this little guy get himself killed or will his flapping of wings and crowing win these girls over? I've never had a rooster before, so I'm looking forward to the experience but I wouldn't want him to try too hard and get torn up beyond repair. Any thoughts

That's funny. Maybe because he's so small right now he'll have some problems but once he get's a little bit bigger and bulkier he'll have better luck

His attitude changed after his first crow. It was really funny. My wife looked up just to see which one was a male, cause we kept thinking maybe we were imagining it, and that was yesterday. This morning I was in the run and handling all the birds fine. He made one lousy crow and now he puffs his chest and does a tap dance at me pecking my shoes. It was hilarious. Felt like I was watching one of my kids hit puberty or something. Proud of him but he better keep that attitude in check cause those girls are seasoned mean ones to newcomers and change.

Back
Top Bottom