Silkie cochin mix not pooping.

RaptorChicken

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
I have this cochin silkie mix who has not pooped in about 2-3 hours. She is perfectly normal otherwise, and she is bright eyed and walking around normally. But she also has sour crop that I have been treating her for ever since today. I have withdrawn food in order for it to heal and am feeding her yogurt. But isn't she still supposed to poop? I keep her in a hutch inside with newspaper for bedding and lights above her to keep it less dark. She also just lost her friend so she is sad and jumpy. Her vent also looks fairly normal, but there are two bones protruding beside it. Is that normal? I also soaked her in warm water just in case she was egg bound and am waiting for her to lay. She hasn't layed in about 3 days.

I have this cochin silkie mix who has not pooped in about 2-3 hours. She is perfectly normal otherwise, and she is bright eyed and walking around normally. But she also has sour crop that I have been treating her for ever since today. I have withdrawn food in order for it to heal and am feeding her yogurt. But isn't she still supposed to poop? I keep her in a hutch inside with newspaper for bedding and lights above her to keep it less dark. She also just lost her friend so she is sad and jumpy. Her vent also looks fairly normal, but there are two bones protruding beside it. Is that normal? I also soaked her in warm water just in case she was egg bound and am waiting for her to lay. She hasn't layed in about 3 days.

Hmmmm. Something very wrong is going on. It could be stress that is causing her not to lay. Does anyone happen to pick on her a lot?

Hmmmm. Something very wrong is going on. It could be stress that is causing her not to lay. Does anyone happen to pick on her a lot?
no she is by herself because the only other one died. I think she is not laying because of stress and am just concerned about her not pooping. also, don't worry I am going to get her another buddy to keep her company soon.

no she is by herself because the only other one died. I think she is not laying because of stress and am just concerned about her not pooping. also, don't worry I am going to get her another buddy to keep her company soon.
Hmmm. Its probably stress, but it could also be her breed. Silkies and Silkie mixes tend not to lay eggs as much as most other chickens.

Maybe the no pooping problem is caused by lack of food. This could also cause your chicken to not lay eggs.

If it has only been today, she will be fine. She is probably in shock of losing her friend. I would keep monitoring as it is still early. Mental state can effect the digestive system immensely, so when she starts to feel better she will probably poop for you.
but is she okay not pooping?

If she has a problem with her crop then usually it has been going on for some time before it becomes obvious. The chances are that food has not been going through her system properly for quite a while and her system is pretty much empty, which means there will be very little poop to come out. Are you giving her crop a regular massage to keep things moving..... 10 mins 4x a day and only give her access to sloppy food....her normal food soaked in plenty of warm water to make a sloppy porridge, with a vitamin supplement and some yoghurt mixed in or a little scrambled egg.
Not laying is to be expected if her digestive tract is not working properly because her body will not be getting enough nutrients to make eggs.
The pointy bones are her pelvic points and yes they are normal, but if they are very noticeable then she may be becoming emaciated. How does her breast bone feel?
They can lose condition very rapidly if their crop is not working properly. Are you sure it is just sour and not impacted? Is it going down at all overnight. Don't leave a light on day and night as that will stress her. Chickens need to sleep at night like us and it is not restful with a light on. It upsets their biological clock, so make sure she is in the dark at night.

If she has a problem with her crop then usually it has been going on for some time before it becomes obvious. The chances are that food has not been going through her system properly for quite a while and her system is pretty much empty, which means there will be very little poop to come out. Are you giving her crop a regular massage to keep things moving..... 10 mins 4x a day and only give her access to sloppy food....her normal food soaked in plenty of warm water to make a sloppy porridge, with a vitamin supplement and some yoghurt mixed in or a little scrambled egg.
Not laying is to be expected if her digestive tract is not working properly because her body will not be getting enough nutrients to make eggs.
The pointy bones are her pelvic points and yes they are normal, but if they are very noticeable then she may be becoming emaciated. How does her breast bone feel?
They can lose condition very rapidly if their crop is not working properly. Are you sure it is just sour and not impacted? Is it going down at all overnight. Don't leave a light on day and night as that will stress her. Chickens need to sleep at night like us and it is not restful with a light on. It upsets their biological clock, so make sure she is in the dark at night.
She has been throwing up green to white liquid and it smells putrid. Also, I know that chickens sleep at night so of course I turn it off at night, chickens need sleep too! And yes I have massaged her crop once so I will do it more now. her bones are protruded there though... Her crop has also been gigantic day and night, and it won't go down.
(She hasn't been spitting up that putrid liquid since this morning just to let you know.)

Back
Top Bottom