Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics

You guys are killing me! Beautiful babies, tell us what breeds the parents are! :)

Can anyone help me identify this lovely chicken? And what gender it is? I've never had Silkies or a silkie cross, so this one has me stumped! It has never crowed or done other roosterly things. But has never attempted to nest or lay either. Guessing it is approx. 5-6 months old. My husband bought a box of 3 straight run Bantam Naked Necks at an auction....this is one of the 3 from the box. They are the same age, and one of them (with naked neck) is obviously a rooster...crowing and having a good time with the ladies! He is obvious Silkie/NN cross.

Sorry for the bad pics. ....

Last edited:
I would say it's a roo as it has saddle feathers and the pointed neck feathers. It may not be crowing because the other rooster is dominant or it could be a late developer. I just got a rooster that's supposed to be 8 months and it doesn't crow but it was in with about 10 other roosters and smaller than them so guessing it didn't want the dominate rooster attacking it but I am just guessing on that bit
1f60a.png

I would say it's a roo as it has saddle feathers and the pointed neck feathers. It may not be crowing because the other rooster is dominant or it could be a late developer. I just got a rooster that's supposed to be 8 months and it doesn't crow but it was in with about 10 other roosters and smaller than them so guessing it didn't want the dominate rooster attacking it but I am just guessing on that bit
1f60a.png

That's what I suspected...another little roo. Figures, that puts me back up to 8 roosters....Ugh. So far everyone is getting along. I have 4 adult roosters that are very nice and friendly. They don't seem to mind the little guys. My Spitzhauben "Molly" is the head roo. After him is his son "Wylie", my Spitzhauben X Easter Egger. Then the two Sultan roos "Nester" & "Tutt". I have a Cuckoo Marans X Light Braham too, but he is still juvenile, and fairly slow maturing. Undecided yet if he will stay....he's VERY large.

That also means that all 3 of the auction Naked Neck lot are little roosters. Oh well, they will have a place with us as long as they keep getting along. I was sure hoping for a pullet though! I do like my cross breeds!

Thanks for the quick reply!

So found my way to this thread because i just bought some chicks that came from a pure buff ameraucana roo and hen is a silkie/ dorking cross.
They have 5 toes, clean legs. One has slate colored legs like the ameraucana. One is buff. Two are white. One white has a dark beak. All have regular feathers. All look to have a bit if a silkie crest. I will try to get some pics up. Curious to see what they will turn out like.? I will be introducing them to buff orpingtons and wyandottes so i dont want them to be too tiny and get picked on. And do they have a chance of laying blue eggs? I cant tell what kind of combs they have. I also bought 3 pure ameraucana chicks. Right now they are about the same size. Except the white ameraucana cockerel is a bigger!

Last edited:
I am new to this crossing thing. I was curious if it was possible (not too dangerous) to breed a large rooster with silkie hen? If so, has anyone done it? With what breeds?

I am new to this crossing thing. I was curious if it was possible (not too dangerous) to breed a large rooster with silkie hen? If so, has anyone done it? With what breeds?

Hi Ibuchanan,
I bred a large light sussex with a white smaller sized silkie you can kind of see the size difference in the second pic...last pic is the baby squishy at 10 wks :)

Luv1another thanks for your reply? Did you just have him and her together for a short period of time or give him access to other hens all at same time or how ?

Back
Top Bottom