Silkie diet

8ponygirl9

Chirping
Jan 23, 2018
hi there,

I'm getting a silkie chick on Feb 9th and I've raised ducks but not a chick what's the absolute best diet for her? Will fruits and veggies be introduced when she gets older?

Hello and welcome
:welcome

I am very new to chicken keeping and I have Silkies.
Mine were hatched in an incubator in my kitchen last year.
I have found tons of advice on this forum so no doubt everyone will chip in. I give my Silkies mealworms as they need protein but there’s no bugs in the winter.....(they’re free range) and some fruit and vegetables.
I have a small electric chopper in the kitchen and my girls like apple (no seeds) pears, carrots, lettuce and if I have leftover peas they love those.
It snowed last week so they had warm porridge.
I don’t make it hard work, they just get whatever is in the kitchen and whatever is left........bread too. This doesn’t make up their diet I hasten to add.....it’s a treat.
Nothing mouldy, and no citrus.
Cut a cucumber in half and see if they’ll peck at that.....or a head of cabbage. There’s a list on here of food that is suitable. Someone will post it, they’re very helpful.
Good luck

Great thank you. I'm only getting one chick no she won't be alone but the plan is to keep her as a house pet with access to the outside with supervision (hawks, cats ECT)

Great thank you. I'm only getting one chick no she won't be alone but the plan is to keep her as a house pet with access to the outside with supervision (hawks, cats ECT)

I think they were about five months old when I grated a carrot for them **gone in ten seconds** haha
Natural yoghurt is good for them but mine don’t seem to go for that much I think my dog pilfered it
If your chick likes yoghurt and it’s in the house, put a bib on it and cover your furniture :drool

You can just feed her chick starter till 8 weeks, after that you can introduce her to chick grower and also give her some grit. Then when she is 20 weeks feed her a layer feed, & by then she will be happy having food scraps.
Oh dear, my local feed store will have all this won't they? Lol

Honestly I've never seen small bags but I will look! I usually shop at Jax in Lafayette co if the location matters some stores carry different things sometimes the other close store would be tractor supply in Longmont co I buy grass hay there for my ducks beding

Honestly I've never seen small bags but I will look! I usually shop at Jax in Lafayette co if the location matters some stores carry different things sometimes the other close store would be tractor supply in Longmont co I buy grass hay there for my ducks beding
Tractor supply will for sure have it, I think 5kg of chick starter will be good to start with and if you have any left you can mix it in with the other feed.

Back
Top Bottom