Silkie Hatching - Assistance Needed ?

Aphelnisan

Hatching
Apr 19, 2024
Hello,
New to community but have been reading tips for a while. We started hatching Silkie eggs a few months back and have had two good hatches in an incubator. We are now doing our third batch but things arn't going the same. For the first two, they pipped and zipped and hatched very quickly on the 20th day.

This batch has pipped 4/5 eggs, but two of them seem to be stuck or are going more slowly. It is the 20th day. I've attached photos. For one, it pipped this morning but it looks like the beak is out and it hasn't moved since this afternoon.
IMG_0236.jpg

For the second, it has been like this for the past hours with no progress. Does it look ok to let keep going on its own?
IMG_0234.jpg

Don't want to open it for fear of losing them all. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
they can breathe so should be ok for awhile .. id give them till tomorrow morning, then chip and peel the airsac end 'slowly' ..stop if it bleeds at all
Thank you for the reply and advice.. The one in the second photo hatched and so did two other eggs.

Unfortunately, the one in the first photo did not move from that position for 24 hours. Attempted to assist, but there was no movement at all from the beak or egg and no chirping. No bleeding when peeled back, but it was clearly dead. It looks like it never broke into the air sac and pipped right out of the egg. Not sure if that is the reason.

One last egg left but no movement/pipping/chirping and it seemed not fully developed after candle check.

Thank you for the reply and advice.. The one in the second photo hatched and so did two other eggs.

Unfortunately, the one in the first photo did not move from that position for 24 hours. Attempted to assist, but there was no movement at all from the beak or egg and no chirping. No bleeding when peeled back, but it was clearly dead. It looks like it never broke into the air sac and pipped right out of the egg. Not sure if that is the reason.

One last egg left but no movement/pipping/chirping and it seemed not fully developed after candle check.
Unfortunately, it happens. I've had them pip in the wrong spot and die before. If you're up for it, I usually crack the egg open and look for a reason. I've had a cross beak that couldn't zip properly, one last year pipped right through an active vein and bled out, and some that didn't appear to have a reason. I usually don't assist early because, in my experience, the chicks that are too weak to hatch usually have issues as chicks. Not always, but often enough for my liking. Have fun with the little peepers.

Back
Top Bottom