silkie head shaking and dipping, lethargic and unstable

michelle

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Hello, my year-old silkie has been staying in her nest for a week now and not wandering with the other chickens. She is eating and drinking but then goes back to the nest. Her head constanting shakes/twitches, she is scratching her beak on the ground and yesterday started dipping/stretching her neck down as she scooted backwards while looking disoriented. This occurred after giving her vet rx (menthol type oil in water)thinking it was a cold. I put electrolytes/vitamins in her water and gave her a flaxseed dewormer in her feed. All my birds recently had mites so I sprayed her for that several times over the last week. Any ideas?? Thank you!!

Wow, I dont know, but that sure sounds like a lot of meds going on there in the last few weeks. I would say..seperate her....clean bedding...clean water..and good food. Maybe some yogurt!? I sure dont know, but I hope she is ok!

Silkies are easily brain injured. A bump or a peck to the head can permenantly injure or kill them. They are also subject to neuro problems which are sometimes genetic and sometimes caused by deficiencies. There is much speculation on the causes and treatments. When they can not control their neck, lift their head, or have their head between their feet, it is usually called "crook neck" or "wry neck".

Some people suggest vitamin E supplements, others say steroids should be given. Massage may help. Make sure that she can eat and drink and remove her if the others are picking on her.

I have not had good luck with treating it.

It is also possible that she still has active mites on her head and ears that are causing problems for her, or that the spray for the mites has adversely affected her.

chel

many things can cause the symptoms you are describing and since it is a silkie , yes it is very possible that she receive an injury to the head in which case the following treatment has helped many from that (judy mckinn had a very bad case recover using it)...however it might alos be from something such as toxicosis (feed, mold, etc.) so try the treatment without the prdnisone for three days and see if there is improvement (as it often helps with many other conditions and toxicities also ) and if you do not see improvement, then with the prdnisone ... it is very important that you do not leave out the selenium ass the therapeutic dose of vitE will only be useful in combination with the selenium (the two are interdependent on each other)...Good Luck !!!
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=casestudiesemergencies&action=display&num=1160927052

Back
Top Bottom