Silkie Light Brahma. Cross BIGGER Silkie?

Shadow Source

Songster
May 25, 2018
Central Oregon
So everyone loves Silkies. Lots of people like light Brahmas. What would happen if I crossed the worlds largest chicken with a Silkie for the intent to breed a bigger Silkie. What would I need to do? I have gave it some thought, and I was thinking if I bread a light brahma rooster with a Silkie hen, I could then breed that back to a Silkie and therefore breeding a bigger Silkie right? And then breed the 2 part Silkie with a one part light brahma back to a light brahma, then back to a 2 part Silkie 1 part brahma rooster/ hen. Would that make a larger Silkie? Please give me you comments. I am thinking of trying this.

That sounds interesting! Maybe it'll bee similar to breeding frizzled silkies/sizzles? I'm still learning about how genetics work with Silkies and frizzles and just breeding genetics in general so please correct me if I'm wrong but I'd think you might get 50-75% Brahma feathered birds and 25-50% Silkie feathered, depending on which gene is more dominant. Cross the larger Silkie feathered birds with a Silkie and you'll probably still get maybe 25% or even less with Brahma feathering. It would be interesting to see what you would get to cross the Brahma feathered with a Silkie though to see if you'll still get what you're looking for. Just make sure you don't inbreed!

I just hatched a silkie that looks oddly like a brahma. I have silkie roos that take care of my silkie hens and a big boy brahma rooster that takes care of my regular hens. I've seen him attempt to mount a silkie hen but he usually just squashes them (he is over 20 lbs!) So I was really shocked to see this odd little chick. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. What have you found out about your experiment?

Back
Top Bottom