Silkie mix tried to kill multiple roosters

Bigtom Turkey

Crowing
Nov 29, 2020
Indiana
I have a silkie mix (blue partridge silkie over black star) he is 24 weeks old. He started crowing at 22 weeks, and breeding at 23. At 22 weeks old he turned on my white silkie and they fought for about 25 minutes, at which point I separated them. Prior to this the white silkie (almost a year) was the dominant one, and they had been together for weeks with no incident. Yesterday they fought and the silkie mix almost killed the white silkie... after 30 minutes of fighting. They are both okay and should recover fine. My problem is that every day he seems to forget his earlier lessons about getting is butt kicked. Has anyone ever had an issue like this... with a silkie?? He is not even 5 lbs, but close. I am worried about him fighting my alpha rooster, a 2 year old Wyandotte.

Put him with a flock that's smarter than him. I had Silkies fighting until I put them in with my Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantams. Them birds gave the Silkies no rest, so they had no time to fight. It worked until I was able to rehome them.

Put him with a flock that's smarter than him. I had Silkies fighting until I put them in with my Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantams. Them birds gave the Silkies no rest, so they had no time to fight. It worked until I was able to rehome them.
I love him and don't plan on re-homing him. I can also separate him if the need arises. I am just curious as to where is attitude is coming from.
ETA He also won't stop fighting, and my AGB/OEGB mix stag was fighting with him and winning till this morning they sparred (no blood was drawn) and the silkie was victorious.

I love him and don't plan on re-homing him. I can also separate him if the need arises. I am just curious as to where is attitude is coming from.
I don't know. Mine did the same thing. I had three TSC Silkie roosters all raised together, and their two sisters. They was raised by the bantams until I started trying to separate them from the bantams. Then the second oldest son got in a fight with the youngest. I separated them all until the bantams we're back.

The white silkie was from TSC, maybe they crossed something in their line and it made them more aggressive.
Maybe. I know the father of those that I had nearly killed the father to the bantam that hatched them out. And it was fast too. I was right there expecting nothing when suddenly my bantam rooster was almost dead.

Yeah, in they last two days he has beat the game bantam and is now alpha over him (much to the game bantams dismay) and seriously messed up the silkie. The silkie has almost zero feather on his head. Luckily most of the wounds were superficial. He also has started challenging my Wyandotte rooster who will kill him if it gets to out-of-hand.

Yeah, in they last two days he has beat the game bantam and is now alpha over him (much to the game bantams dismay) and seriously messed up the silkie. The silkie has almost zero feather on his head. Luckily most of the wounds were superficial. He also has started challenging my Wyandotte rooster who will kill him if it gets to out-of-hand.
Do you know about de-spuring? I've never done it, but I did have a rooster lose his spurs. That might be helpful....

But maybe the best things would be to rehome, or separate.

He is only 24 weeks old, so he doesn't have spurs. And yes, they are separate. I know what to do with him as far as mitigating the issue. My question was directed towards the reason behind this problem.

I have a silkie mix (blue partridge silkie over black star) he is 24 weeks old. He started crowing at 22 weeks, and breeding at 23. At 22 weeks old he turned on my white silkie and they fought for about 25 minutes, at which point I separated them. Prior to this the white silkie (almost a year) was the dominant one, and they had been together for weeks with no incident. Yesterday they fought and the silkie mix almost killed the white silkie... after 30 minutes of fighting. They are both okay and should recover fine. My problem is that every day he seems to forget his earlier lessons about getting is butt kicked. Has anyone ever had an issue like this... with a silkie?? He is not even 5 lbs, but close. I am worried about him fighting my alpha rooster, a 2 year old Wyandotte.
Hi! I have a Silkie mix rooster, named Manny, that I hatched here in the incubator. He is 18 months old now. His dad is my absolute sweetest little blue Silkie ever. His mom is a Midnight Majesty Marans (a hatchery Marans mix) that is a bit more aggressive with her flock (super sweet with humans) than my other head hens. Their son, Manny (Silkie mix mentioned above) is very gentle with humans and cute as a button. All of my other roosters are terrified of Manny, even the roosters that are larger. They always move out of his way and treat him like a king. I have noticed that Manny seems to HATE my white Silkie rooster but gets along really well with the other boys as long as they obey his rules. The white Silkie can't seem to do anything to get on Manny's good side. If the boys are free ranging, it's not a huge problem. Since I am having to keep all of my birds locked up, I have to keep the white Silkie with my bantam boys. I would be afraid to keep them locked up together

Edited to add that my situation is different than most with my roosters not being in a flock with my girls. When free ranging, they gaurd the coops and girls and hang out in the yard. Now that I'm having to lock them up 24/7, it's more like a bachelor flock situation.

Back
Top Bottom