Silkie not growing properly

chicken4prez

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
My one Silkie is 11 weeks and she's almost the same size as my 8 week old. I know that Silkie usually are smaller but all her other Silkie friends the same age as her are HUGE! Is there something I can give her to make her grow bigger? Is she low on protein or something? She's acting completely normal but I'm just concerned on her size.

My one Silkie is 11 weeks and she's almost the same size as my 8 week old. I know that Silkie usually are smaller but all her other Silkie friends the same age as her are HUGE! Is there something I can give her to make her grow bigger? Is she low on protein or something? She's acting completely normal but I'm just concerned on her size.

I have 21 silkies and on of them is very small, as small as a 4 week old chick, they ar all now between the ages of three and a half months and five and a half months. They are all now four times her size and she looks perfectly healthy but she just doesn't grow, I have no idea why, she might be a bantam silkie although I think all silkies are bantam but i really have no idea.

I have 21 silkies and on of them is very small, as small as a 4 week old chick, they ar all now between the ages of three and a half months and five and a half months. They are all now four times her size and she looks perfectly healthy but she just doesn't grow, I have no idea why, she might be a bantam silkie although I think all silkies are bantam but i really have no idea.
That's good to know I'm not the only one. I'm not keeping her with her other Silkie friends and Easter Eggers because they're so aggressive so I'm putting her with my younger group and she seems much happier. She just needs some more love.

That's good to know I'm not the only one. I'm not keeping her with her other Silkie friends and Easter Eggers because they're so aggressive so I'm putting her with my younger group and she seems much happier. She just needs some more love.
Well maybe if you give her more personal care she might improve, but my silkies are not aggressive at all, silkies are pretty calm and peaceful chicken so i'm surprised that your silkies are being aggressive.

She could be a bantam(I think there are bantam and standard silkies).
....or she could have some genetic anomaly that inhibits nutrient uptake.
Did they all come from the same place and grow up together eating the same food?

Silkies are bantams and the standard sizes are more rare and usually found in Japan, I think I read. I raise silkies and it is not uncommon to get some that remain quite a bit smaller than their siblings so I would not worry. They tend to catch up a little more once they hit 3 to 4 months. I do know there are people that breed mini silkies. I do believe these are just silkies that remain really small like the one you have.

She could be a bantam(I think there are bantam and standard silkies).
....or she could have some genetic anomaly that inhibits nutrient uptake.
Did they all come from the same place and grow up together eating the same food?
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes they did all come from the same place and they all ate the same food.

Silkies are bantams and the standard sizes are more rare and usually found in Japan, I think I read. I raise silkies and it is not uncommon to get some that remain quite a bit smaller than their siblings so I would not worry. They tend to catch up a little more once they hit 3 to 4 months. I do know there are people that breed mini silkies. I do believe these are just silkies that remain really small like the one you have.
Thank you so much. She is very cute and loves to snuggle with you!

Well maybe if you give her more personal care she might improve, but my silkies are not aggressive at all, silkies are pretty calm and peaceful chicken so i'm surprised that your silkies are being aggressive.
Thanks for the reply. The group she was raised in had 6 roosters and now I moved them in the big flock and my chickens are very territorial to strangers so that's why she's staying with the younger group.

Actually, EEs are not aggressive at all! I have one silkie with my flock of 4 EEs. They all get along great! There have never been problems! EEs are incredibly sweet. But I do suppose it could vary from flock to flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom