Silkie thread!

My 9 month old Yoshi (avatar) is starting to get aggressive. He was introduced to the 15 minute "football hold" today.
hmm.png
Hope it works- I want to show him!

Pam
Haha I regularly pin my roo down to keep him in check, once he stops struggling I let him go and pat him. One day I grabbed Nori and she let out the "help me!" cry and he came running and was like "oh it's just you, shut up woman
smack.gif
" and walked away
lau.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for that peep...
My visit to Catdance Farm was superb! Spent an hour and a half with Karen talking Silkies, genetics, and husbandry. She and I share a lot of the same philosphy. Wonderful to meet her and I've never seen so many drop dead gorgeous Silkies in one place in my life. I'm still star struck. Brought home a pair of Whites hand picked by Karen. She also gave me a little crippled pullet. I'm giving her a 'forever' home. She could produce eggs and chicks too. She is the sweetest little thing. I just named her. Named by my two year old Grandson. Fluffy Dragon is ten months old. Out of a pen with a Shorty Polston roo and Aimee Croger hens. He is in rough condition from his time in the cockerel pen but I love his comb and beak. He has a lot of hard feathers in his tail. His tail and cushion are lacking but he is still maturing. I wanted a pullet that would compliment him. Karen paired this cutie with him. She is out of a different pen of Catdance line birds. Six months old, she still is a baby. She has a huge bonnet crest so I named her Bonney. She's got a beautiful cushion and tail. Great pairing with Fluffy Dragon. The little special needs pullet is going to be protected and loved by me forever. She is a doll. Can't walk or stand but scoots around on her tummy. She's been in a pullet pen and gotten around just fine. The other little pullet Bonney is her bestest buddy. I've just named her 'Dumpling'. Twenty four Catdance eggs now in the new Genesis bator. Holy Carp! Here we go!
What a great experience to visit with Karen...you are a good soul for taking in dumpling...hope she enjoys her new life...

Thank you for that peep...
My visit to Catdance Farm was superb! Spent an hour and a half with Karen talking Silkies, genetics, and husbandry. She and I share a lot of the same philosphy. Wonderful to meet her and I've never seen so many drop dead gorgeous Silkies in one place in my life. I'm still star struck. Brought home a pair of Whites hand picked by Karen. She also gave me a little crippled pullet. I'm giving her a 'forever' home. She could produce eggs and chicks too. She is the sweetest little thing. I just named her. Named by my two year old Grandson. Fluffy Dragon is ten months old. Out of a pen with a Shorty Polston roo and Aimee Croger hens. He is in rough condition from his time in the cockerel pen but I love his comb and beak. He has a lot of hard feathers in his tail. His tail and cushion are lacking but he is still maturing. I wanted a pullet that would compliment him. Karen paired this cutie with him. She is out of a different pen of Catdance line birds. Six months old, she still is a baby. She has a huge bonnet crest so I named her Bonney. She's got a beautiful cushion and tail. Great pairing with Fluffy Dragon. The little special needs pullet is going to be protected and loved by me forever. She is a doll. Can't walk or stand but scoots around on her tummy. She's been in a pullet pen and gotten around just fine. The other little pullet Bonney is her bestest buddy. I've just named her 'Dumpling'. Twenty four Catdance eggs now in the new Genesis bator. Holy Carp! Here we go!
What a great experience to visit with Karen...you are a good soul for taking in dumpling...hope she enjoys her new life...

It was an experience that solidified my feelings and direction about raising chickens and Silkies for the future.

Karen told me the little crippled pullet came out of the incubator with crooked feet and she somehow missed it. Sometimes chicks go this way during incubation but she catches it and tapes the toes and they grow out just fine. I myself have found this to be true as well. By the time it was discovered, the feet had permanently deformed. The pullet is in beautiful condition. The other pullets treated her as an equal and the darling has learned to scoot herself around where ever she needs to find food and water.

This touched my heart when I left with the trio. Of the three birds, Karen hugged, gave a kiss, and wished my little Dumpling well in her new life. It was clear to me that this little pullet was a well loved and sweet pet at Catdance farm. If she had a name, I wasn't told it. I'm very happy we found each other. She is going to have a chance to raise chicks in a special environment built just for her needs.
It will be two more months before I put the trio together in the special breeding pen. The roo will then be a year old. The pullets eight months. Going to be keeping a close eye on how that goes.

Chickies are growing feathers! I love little shredded chick wing feathers, they are so soft.

Foot feathering is awkward, in between fuzz and feathers in some places, but is still looking nice. This chick could use better toe spacing on its left foot, though. Please excuse my arm.

And of course, faces are coming along adorably. love those fuzzy cheeks and heads (i'm not sure why the skin looks green in this pic, it's not in person)

Also, my rough looking hen dried off today
wink.png

Last edited:
Candled some eggs this weekend and so far 12 out of 15!! excited to bring in a new line to my line they are due march 7th!!!! finally got some breeding pens done its so muddy here in carolina :( i messed up all of my grass seed trying to catch a roo everyone jave a good monday as hard as it is to!!!

Back
Top Bottom