Silkie thread!

I'm thinking 3 mo old. The farmer said it was a female...well we know how that goes. Here is a better shot of the head.

Okay we're back, he actually was able to remove the egg whole, but he gave her a sort of external c-section. He had to slowly pull out her ovaduct, kind of turn it inside out, but when he got to the egg it was actually sort of twisted in the membrane of the ovaduct so he had to make an incision to remove it then stitched her back up. Now to keep her from laying anymore I'm trying to make her go broody so she will stop. Any suggestions? I got some of the plastic easter eggs and filled them with sand and gave them to her in a covered kennel.

Keep her in the dark, it will help inhibit laying if they think it is night most of the time.

ADORABLE! I am hatching Catdance right now! 2 white ones hatched last night - and I just counted 10 pips! I was so encouraged to read that yours hatched over several days.... keeping me from fretting about the ones who aren't doing anything yet!!
Thank you. These are such delicious Silkie babies. I'm over the moon with them and will be getting more eggs hopefully in July.

My eggs began to pip on day nineteen and the last baby hatched on day 22. Keeping the humidity steady between 55 and 65% was key for my bator.

I'm so excited for you! The Catdance chicks are the bomb!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
Thank you. These are such delicious Silkie babies. I'm over the moon with them and will be getting more eggs hopefully in July.

My eggs began to pip on day nineteen and the last baby hatched on day 22. Keeping the humidity steady between 55 and 65% was key for my bator.

I'm so excited for you! The Catdance chicks are the bomb! :love :love :love

So good to hear on humidity. It is not budging from 60% so I guess I am OK! Thanks!

so another question... when the vet removed the egg, he dropped it. It's pretty cracked, has a smashed indented side and hairline cracks around most of the egg. I did coat it with elmers glue, but could it still hatch? The membrane is not perforated at all.

Okay we're back, he actually was able to remove the egg whole, but he gave her a sort of external c-section. He had to slowly pull out her ovaduct, kind of turn it inside out, but when he got to the egg it was actually sort of twisted in the membrane of the ovaduct so he had to make an incision to remove it then stitched her back up. Now to keep her from laying anymore I'm trying to make her go broody so she will stop. Any suggestions? I got some of the plastic easter eggs and filled them with sand and gave them to her in a covered kennel.

I heard recently to put them under a basket and keep them in a dim place. The basket allows fresh air but kind of puts them in a stuper and makes them sleepy. Take them out twice a day briefly for food and water. I have not tried this but sounded like it might work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom