Silkie thread!

I have a question about my little white silkie's behavior - I think she's trying to go broody. She is about 24 weeks old and started laying for me at around 20 weeks. She's a pretty good little layer and only has given me one softshell so far.
Anyway, when I went to put them up for the night last night, she was in her favorite nesting box instead of the roost like usual. She normally roosts with all the big girls. I thought that was really strange, but I just left her there and when I went out in the morning, she was still there. I found a couple eggs under her as she's laying in the favorite nesting area of all the girls, and took them away. She didn't make any noise at me, but she did fluff her feathers.
This went on all day - somehow, the other girls would get in there and lay but I would have to collect them from underneath her. Every time I grabbed another egg or two, she would fluff up at me, but I would take her out of the box/coop and put her on the ground in the run. She would then get a drink, scratch around for a minute or two but eventually go right back into the coop. I think I removed her from the box and collected eggs 4-5 different times today. Then again tonight, when I went to make sure they were all in bed, she was back in the nesting box instead of the roost... any thoughts? Any advice? We don't need a broody right now.

I have a question about my little white silkie's behavior - I think she's trying to go broody. She is about 24 weeks old and started laying for me at around 20 weeks. She's a pretty good little layer and only has given me one softshell so far.
Anyway, when I went to put them up for the night last night, she was in her favorite nesting box instead of the roost like usual. She normally roosts with all the big girls. I thought that was really strange, but I just left her there and when I went out in the morning, she was still there. I found a couple eggs under her as she's laying in the favorite nesting area of all the girls, and took them away. She didn't make any noise at me, but she did fluff her feathers.
This went on all day - somehow, the other girls would get in there and lay but I would have to collect them from underneath her. Every time I grabbed another egg or two, she would fluff up at me, but I would take her out of the box/coop and put her on the ground in the run. She would then get a drink, scratch around for a minute or two but eventually go right back into the coop. I think I removed her from the box and collected eggs 4-5 different times today. Then again tonight, when I went to make sure they were all in bed, she was back in the nesting box instead of the roost... any thoughts? Any advice? We don't need a broody right now.
I would check her just to make sure she isn't egg bound, and if not You can bring her in and put her on a wire bottomed cage with food and water and a bright light. No bed. This should break her within the week.

It is wry neck and you do need to start treating immediately with Poly-vi-sol without Iron, or she could die very quickly. If it doesn't work, it's an injury. But it doesn't sound like it. It just looked like the first pic she was upside down. Mine was the same as yours, would stand okay, and then walk backwards in circles with her head completely upside down. Silkies should be fed 20-22% protein starter too. If you start treating immediately your odds should be good. But let it go too long and they are quite slim.
Yep. That's what we've got going. Keeping my fingers crossed.

That picture was nearly the only one I could catch with her head like that because she would struggle to get it back up. I think she's tired this morning. She did have her head tucked in at one point, but now she's just laying there all caddywompus.
sad.png
I absolutely hate seeing her like this.

I'm having the same problem, all the eggs are clear.  Where do I trim and how?  I have no idea!

I trimmed below the vent on my rooster, and above for the hens. The girls fluffy butts don't look much different, but my poor rooster looks pretty funny. He seems a little embarrassed today :gig

I trimmed below the vent on my rooster, and above for the hens. The girls fluffy butts don't look much different, but my poor rooster looks pretty funny. He seems a little embarrassed today
gig.gif
ahhh. good description, thank you!

I just witnessed my rooster trying to mount the pullet. she just doesn't want to! will she ever?? is he going at it all wrong or something? LOL

Hello everyone. Buff Silkie combs and wattles... if they are dark red, is this bad? their earlobes are not as turqoise as in pictures of white Silkies I have seen.

Last edited:
I would check her just to make sure she isn't egg bound, and if not You can bring her in and put her on a wire bottomed cage with food and water and a bright light. No bed. This should break her within the week.

I don't think she's egg bound as one of the eggs I pulled out from under her yesterday was her own. She just keeps going back to the nest even if there's no eggs, and I keep taking her out. She will only stay out for a few minutes, drink a little, pick at a little food and then head back in. Won't separating her cause problems when I put her back into the coop with the rest of the chickens?

I have a silkie hen, who is almost 2 years old. She has a little bald spot on the top of her head. It's not noticeable at all just to look at her, but I noticed when I was looking her over (for mites and whatknot). I was wondering if it's probably just a little molting, or what? I don't think she gets picked on by the others, unless it's the roo when mating? Right near the spot, she did recently get at least one new feather! I know because she's splash, and it's solid white!

Back
Top Bottom