Silkie thread!

Well I put a rabbit cage in the back of the coop and choose Sassy to raise the peep since she did all the sitting, made a nice nest put some eggs that she was sitting on in the nest even tho I don't think any of the Silkie eggs are firtel :( none are hatching. I gave her the EE egg cause she just kept trying to hatch eggs wouldn't give up. My daughter has some eggs in a homemade incubator out of a ice chest. I will be surprised if any hatch but if they do the lonely peep will get siblings. I have two Buff Orpingtons chicks I got from Coastal in the house but they are a lot bigger then this little peep and I don't know if they would be nice to the little guy. So cute!
I think it will be better separated with one mom, I was worried they would be to busy fighting over who got to sit on the baby then teaching it to eat. Plus I don't have any reason to think the Roo would hurt it but you never know. I hope and pray its a girl so I can keep it! Any thoughts on the BO moving in with them? Too Riskey on what mom would do? Or what big peeps would do?

I think you are wise when I left my chicks in the coop one fell out and got cold, and she was so busy trying too hatch the others she left that one and another got pecked in the eye by another hen. When I separated the chicks with one broody hen, I didn't loose a one. Good luck Sue!!! Let me know how it goes.:D

All blue.

The way the Blue gene works in a breeding can be broken down as follows:
1) Blue x Blue: This will produce 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash.
2) Black x Blue: Produces 50% black and 50% blue.
3) Black x Splash: You'll get 100% blue.
4) Blue x Splash: Produces 50% blue and 50% splash.
5) Splash x Splash: This will give you 100% Splash.
6) Black x black: 100% black
Thanks PeepBlessed! That's what I was looking for! I had this on my old computer but my husband said it was no good and got me a new one without transferring all my stuff over.

Thanks PeepBlessed! That's what I was looking for! I had this on my old computer but my husband said it was no good and got me a new one without transferring all my stuff over.

Bruce Lee came from a pen with Splash hens and Splash and White Roos.

SoSince he is obviously not white he is splash? And I hope he is a hen :) Doesn't Bruce have great boots?

Oh and are Silkies like other bearded breeds. Wattle less roos if they are bearded?

Last edited:
I like that name!
big_smile.png
Might be a good idea. I love those feather footed breeds.
wee.gif

Thank you for the advice on the Amoxicillin. I'll save that in my notes for future reference. Luckily, my birds are back to normal and good health now.
Is the Amoxicillin for the sneezing? How do you know if there just sneezing because of dust or because of a cold? Mine do it often and just today I noticed my BSL doing it more then I like.

I think you are wise when I left my chicks in the coop one fell out and got cold, and she was so busy trying too hatch the others she left that one and another got pecked in the eye by another hen. When I separated the chicks with one broody hen, I didn't loose a one. Good luck Sue!!! Let me know how it goes.:D

Thanks for letting me know, very sorry about your peeps those are both concerns that I had, I worried the hens would hurt the baby if they got in a fight over who got to sit on it. And my coop has a ramp going up to it so I didn't want it to fall out. I feel so much better now that their in the cage but yet still in the coop. :)

Hi All!
My Porcelain pullet (6 Months) seems to be more quiet than usual. She has a goopy eye. I haven't seen her sneezing or coughing. Her crop isn't very full. But I did see her get a nice drink of water. Should I start her on Antibiotics? If so which one? I brought her into the house and gave her scrambled egg. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE SUPER! She is my Catdance Pullet and really, really don't want to loose her. Vet's are closed for the weekend!

Hi All!
My Porcelain pullet (6 Months) seems to be more quiet than usual. She has a goopy eye. I haven't seen her sneezing or coughing. Her crop isn't very full. But I did see her get a nice drink of water. Should I start her on Antibiotics? If so which one? I brought her into the house and gave her scrambled egg. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE SUPER! She is my Catdance Pullet and really, really don't want to loose her. Vet's are closed for the weekend!
Is it just her eye? or does she have stuff in her nose as well? If it's just her eye you could try neo-poly-mycin opthalmic ointment. You should be able to get it at a feed and supply store.

My broody Silkie Hatched out a EE chick and I decided to let them raise it, hoping nothing will happen. I just didn't have the heart to take it from them. I have two hens looking after it. Do you think the Rooster will be nice to it? I put food and water right by the nest in the coop do you think it will eat and find the food ok, I worry about the litte guy.
mY roosters fathered the EE and the RIR and the white rock that hatched out! it was really cute to see the chicks under the roosters wings!

Thanks for letting me know, very sorry about your peeps those are both concerns that I had, I worried the hens would hurt the baby if they got in a fight over who got to sit on it. And my coop has a ramp going up to it so I didn't want it to fall out. I feel so much better now that their in the cage but yet still in the coop.
smile.png
Interesting topic, so hens with chicks should not be left with the rest of the flock? what about 2 hens with chicks each together? and what age are chicks ready to get altoghether?

Back
Top Bottom