Casper

Truffle

Dandy Lion

Zathera

Kathy

my little girls first show and her silkie's got grand champion reserve fancy
Wow!!! Totally awesome!!
clap.gif

Question! How many eggs a week do silkies lay???
Mine lay 2 to 6 a week.
and how do I sanitize the eggs for eating? just with egg wash?
I don't sanitize for eating but you can use Oxine 20% - 1 oz. per quart.
This morning I set 18 Catdance silkie eggs! Very excited to see what I get out of the awesome mix that Karen sent me
big_smile.png
Love Karen's line!

Hot Pocket

Casper

Truffle

Dandy Lion

Zathera

Kathy

Love your beautiful photos of all your adorable chicks!

Peepblessed

How has your hatch rate been when hatching Karen's shipped eggs? I realize that shipped egg tend to have a much lower hatch rate, just curious. Do you have pics of your silkies from her?

Last edited:
I use wood pellets that have been wet down so they break up into small wood pieces. I use the deep litter method so it's about 4" deep. My coop floor is 6' x 6' and it takes three bags, (@ $3 per bag) to fill it up. I only need to change it once or twice a year so that is pretty cheap. When I do change it, it all goes into my compost bins. I don't have any smell no matter how much the chickens poop in there. I turn it maybe evert week if needed (mainly just under roosts) and the chickens do most of the turning themselves scratching around in there.

I am setting up my brooders the same way, covered in paper towels the first few days till the chicks understand what is food and what isn't, then just the deep litter afterwards. This will keep their smells under control since they will be in my house until they are old enough to go outside.

Are you using the wood stove wood pellets or the horse bedding pellets that break down when wet? I am looking for another flooring option for my coops. Thanks!

Hi Silkie Friends!
I need some color help with these chicks. I ordered them from a breeder. She didn't mark the eggs, argh! The possible colors are blue,black,splash,white,porcelain and blue/partridge. Everyone was color separated. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Chick #1

Chick #2

Chick #3 (White or Splash??)

Hi Silkie Friends!
I need some color help with these chicks. I ordered them from a breeder. She didn't mark the eggs, argh! The possible colors are blue,black,splash,white,porcelain and blue/partridge. Everyone was color separated. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Chick #1

Chick #2

Oh my goodness they are so cute! Now I am getting so anxious for my babies to hatch!

Hi Silkie Friends!
Chick #1

Chick #2

I don't know about #1 but #2 looks Porcelain and #3 looks like a White.

Back
Top Bottom