Silkie thread!

What incubator do most of you recommend for hatching silkie eggs? I would like one that would hatch at least 24 at a time since I am planning to purchase some shipped eggs. I am willing to spend some $ for a nice one, but can't afford one of the big cabinet incubators, so the next best thing to a cabinet incubator please. Thank you! This is such a wonderful thread :)
The Genesis 1588 is a step up from the cheapest Little Giant. I have gotten excellent hatch rates from Silkie eggs in it. Both collected from my hens and shipped.

This last little Silkie won't stop peeping, keeps crying for a Moma hen trying to duck under the other chicks. I not only feel bad for it its driving me nuts. I was thinking maybe I should separate one of the mother hens in the coop in a rabbit cage and put some of these house chicks with her. Does anybody think this is a bad idea? The chicks with Moma hens seem so much better off and happier.

This last little Silkie won't stop peeping, keeps crying for a Moma hen trying to duck under the other chicks. I not only feel bad for it its driving me nuts. I was thinking maybe I should separate one of the mother hens in the coop in a rabbit cage and put some of these house chicks with her. Does anybody think this is a bad idea? The chicks with Moma hens seem so much better off and happier.
Most hens attack chicks that aren't theirs.

Read some interesting things on pasty butt. I noticed none of the hens chicks have this issue and I read that the chicks with hens eat some of the hens poo and get the good bacteria that prevents this. I think I'll go out and get some sand out of the coop and put in with my house chicks see if that helps. I also put Probios powder in their water. I'll also pick up a little plan yogurt when I go to town. Just wanted to share incase anyone else has this problem. To my amazement one of the last two eggs peeped this morning, here we go again!
I have 3 Silky hens raising 5 baby Silkies. One belong to my hens (don't know which one), the other 4 are hatchery chicks. The Momma's have had the babies since day 2. Two of the chicks have very noticable "Pasty butt".

Unfortunately I don't have that option right now. I'm not very trusting of anyone at our local swap and I hardly ever see silkies there anyways. I'm not truly interested in show quality or anything I'm just wanting a few to try them out I've never had them before. I just was wondering if people had bad luck with any particular hatcheries.
Don't blame you for not fully trusting the local swap. I've had people sell cockrells as pollets, Partridge sold as Blue's. Old sold as young. I'm a bit smarter now.

Icelynn took in Marie, a 4 week old polish, immediately
smile.png
She and Snow adopted the little brat
lol.png
But last time I tried to introduce a chick to her (Cleo my Fayoumi) she wasn't as accepting...

The kicker is she isn't even broody!

Last edited:

My hens surely do. A fledgling brown thrasher made its way into the silkie pen, and my hens promptly attacked it and snapped its neck. They seem to be "breedist" as well. When one half oegb hatched out under with all silkie siblings, it was immediately singled out and rejected by the broodies.

Back
Top Bottom