Silkie thread!

My son's very first show!
: WOOHOO!

Last edited:
think my girl finally went broody .. she has stopped laying the past 4 days and she has been going on the nest every night for the past 3 days and she was on the nest for most of the day today .. but she is on 9 eggs .. is this to much for a silkie hen ?

Thank you so much for the response. I will post again in a few months. It is good to have a time frame and hear that I may be starting in the right direction. With regards to the pullet with the wing - it looks odd when you actually look at it in person. It seems to me, though I have no experience with split wings and have never seen it in person before, that her primaries do cover the secondaries and seem to snap forward/upward over the others when her wing goes back in place. Sometimes they just look a little funny and sometimes they seem to lay really high. They don't stay consistently in one place and do catch your eye when she goes by, so that was my first indication that something didn't seem right. I will keep an eye on it too.

Since she is young, every time you see the wing folded incorrectly, refold it correctly. You could also tape it correctly for a couple of weeks and see if it improves. I've also heard of trimming the wings to remove weight and help them learn to fold it correctly. I've never tried this.
I was going to suggest this also. I think pulling the offending feathers is better than trimming. I did this recently with one of mine and it is already helping a lot.

My son's very first show!
Wow!!!
clap.gif

She's probably already gone.
I'm so very sorry...
hugs.gif

Love your Silkies! I have two, one white and one that the seller told me might be a pheasant in color. He or she is turning out to be a very pretty bird. At right at 2 months he has blue around his ears and his feathers are a brownish color with lighter spots on them. They still have a lot of their fuzzy "feathers" but the darker one has no sign of a comb or waddle while the white one has a pinkish/crandberry colored comb which is just showing up. The man I bought them from said he thinks the white one is a pullet. I haven't been able to get a really good picture of them but will continue to try and post them as soon as I can. These were taken on July 8, 2013 and the best I can come up with is they were about 4-5 weeks old then. In fact the white one is probably a week or so older than the dark one. Any idea from the looks if they are roos or pullets?

Last edited:
think my girl finally went broody .. she has stopped laying the past 4 days and she has been going on the nest every night for the past 3 days and she was on the nest for most of the day today .. but she is on 9 eggs .. is this to much for a silkie hen ?

Not if they are Silkie eggs. Does she stay on the nest constantly all day and night and only come off for about 15 minutes and run around with her wings spread making funny noises and chasing everybody away? Leaving one humungous and very stinky poop and eating as if she was starved and drinking water until her whole front is soaking wet and running back to the nest? If she doesn't do that, then she isn't really broody yet. She may be thinking about it though.

Back
Top Bottom