Silkie thread!

big_smile.png

Such a sweet gorgeous girl you have. Love her!

What are your other choices? His comb and wattles are too red, and likely to cause him to be DQed. His type is really lacking for a show bird. He might do fine for showmanship, but isn't a good choice for exhibition.
I am not saying this to upset anyone..just a statement about the 3 roos I have and the one I see above.. Again...I am not showing just raising for myself, friends,family, and selling for whatever.!!

I intend them to be of good quality but don't care a lick if they are or are not good enough for show. I don't even know if I am sure about what a really quality one looks like in person.
The red roo above looks almost identical to my red. I do not intend to show him...neither do I intend to breed him to my Silkie hens. I think I am going to keep him, but he needs some time out working in the garden with me...I call him "Dingbat". No beard, ratty feathers, a big comb ...I will have to check out his comb color now that I know that it needs to be a specific color and size rather. I don't know how many times he has "attacked" me in the pen...the 1st I turned around to see what on Earth had run in to me...a piece of corn?? Now I play a game with him when he starts. I call it "I am the biggest hen in this pen!" Sounds stupid huh!!?? I spread my hand out a bit in front of him so it looks like another roos splayed feathers. on its neck. Then sometimes we have a little "fight". He loses but I do not play rough. A time or two he hass sneaked up behind me as I am going out the door of the pen. He will eventually be a good pal to have around while I am weeding and finding him worms,bugs, and grubs!!!

My 2nd roo is splashed"? It is a light blue and white splashed...I think. I bought him from another lady that raises "quality" Silkies....well...maybe. But I don't think I have seen it yet. He is almost 5 1/2 months old.

Will anyone point out good and bad for me? It won't bother me, really it won't. I really like the bird, he looks nice and I think he has good toes. So far he has been good natured.

This is a pic of my new calico roo. Comments please????? I have more and can get more if needed....my daughter is here for our family reunion and she loves chickens, too.

He is not cleaned up for pics and he lives in a chain link dog kennel with a coop inside and the 3 hens, 2 d'Uccle older chicks, and the young splashed roo.
TY

I am not saying this to upset anyone..just a statement about the 3 roos I have and the one I see above.. Again...I am not showing just raising for myself, friends,family, and selling for whatever.!!i don't know about anyone else (and really don't care) but I really like your Calico roo!! He's nice from what I can tell from the pic. Congrats! I intend them to be of good quality but don't care a lick if they are or are not good enough for show. I don't even know if I am sure about what a really quality one looks like in person. The red roo above looks almost identical to my red. I do not intend to show him...neither do I intend to breed him to my Silkie hens. I think I am going to keep him, but he needs some time out working in the garden with me...I call him "Dingbat". No beard, ratty feathers, a big comb ...I will have to check out his comb color now that I know that it needs to be a specific color and size rather. I don't know how many times he has "attacked" me in the pen...the 1st I turned around to see what on Earth had run in to me...a piece of corn?? Now I play a game with him when he starts. I call it "I am the biggest hen in this pen!" Sounds stupid huh!!?? I spread my hand out a bit in front of him so it looks like another roos splayed feathers. on its neck. Then sometimes we have a little "fight". He loses but I do not play rough. A time or two he hass sneaked up behind me as I am going out the door of the pen. He will eventually be a good pal to have around while I am weeding and finding him worms,bugs, and grubs!!! My 2nd roo is splashed"? It is a light blue and white splashed...I think. I bought him from another lady that raises "quality" Silkies....well...maybe. But I don't think I have seen it yet. He is almost 5 1/2 months old. Will anyone point out good and bad for me? It won't bother me, really it won't. I really like the bird, he looks nice and I think he has good toes. So far he has been good natured. This is a pic of my new calico roo. Comments please????? I have more and can get more if needed....my daughter is here for our family reunion and she loves chickens, too. He is not cleaned up for pics and he lives in a chain link dog kennel with a coop inside and the 3 hens, 2 d'Uccle older chicks, and the young splashed roo. TY

Two quick questions:
What is the difference between lavender and porcelain silkies? Colorwise? Like can you decribe their color difference? (ie: lighter, darker, creamish, grayish)
Also, what does DQ mean?
Thanks
Found these pictures on Google. As you can see, there's a clear difference between the two colors.

PORCELAIN

LAVENDER

I am so excited! My first silkie hen has 4 eggs in her nest! She has layed 4 eggs over the course of 5 days! I wonder how many more she will lay before she sits on them :)

Good thing my granddaughter is not there, she would collect all those eggs for you! LOL. I put two fake eggs in the nest boxes to show my new layers that they don't belong on the floor of the coop, and my granddaughter collected the fake ones up too. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom