Silkie thread!

This is where she is now. Separated from the others

this is where she was with the others, she's right next to them in another brooder

her injured foot.... middle (long) toe feels swollen and the one on the very end is feeling rather limp and kinda under the toe next to it. You can't see it here because it's "limp" and hiding under there

I can't really see anything wrong except for a slight bent nail =/ Have you felt her tendon? A messed up foot wouldn't cause her to do that. Also, chicks can get splayed leg on shavings. For the first couple days they should be on paper towels, they need a solid footing not a squishy one like shavings. I would make her some hobbles and/or a sling and try to set it right.

Put them on a floor and stand there about 10 minutes later drop a hat Roos will act aware hens will cower away
Ok, i just did this outside in the pen, and I don't think it is very accurate. My rooster ran away with the hens. LOL. the only one who didn't really run away was one of the chicks. all the others, the 3 chicks, 2 hens, and my rooster all ran away. Am I doing it wrong?

My silkie CreamPuff laid her very first egg!!!! This is a silkie egg right?

I would say it could be. My silkies laid anything from white to medium brown depending upon what color they were. The darker colors laid the darker eggs. The were a good size egg for being bantam eggs. A little smaller than a medium grocery egg.

Quote:
No, you aren't doing anything wrong - its just that the method is only 50% accurate
wink.png
just like the holding them by the head and seeing if they curl up or lay flat at under a week old - or the toe length... all birds react differently - and their reactions are not always separated by sex. I had some very aggressive girls (those were feather color sexed and not silkies) and some extremely passive boys, when they got older they switched attitudes. I am finding out the curved/flat beak isn't accurate either on my Silkies either - it might be for some people's birds but I have two boys here with perfectly flat straight "female" beaks, growing combs and wattles and streamers!

The only for sure signs are the streamers that the boys get - although I had one one hen that had what looked like streamers when she molted. Comb growth about 4 months old and wattles if they are beardless are good indicators, but before that it is still just a guessing game.

On some lines the crest on the girl goes forward, the boys sweep back. That does hold true on my birds, except for one confused boy? who has a crest that goes straight up. Mohawk I guess...

I would say it could be.  My silkies laid anything from white to medium brown depending upon what color they were.  The darker colors laid the darker eggs.  The were a good size egg for being bantam eggs.  A little smaller than a medium grocery egg.

Congrats on your first egg! I am still waiting on my first Silkie egg. My other breeds have been laying for about a month. Glad to see a fellow LA chicken momma on here!

:D

Back
Top Bottom