Silkie thread!

Hi, need advice, can someone recommend me a brand (type) of poultry food for silkies so I can read the nutritional info and compare with the products here in my country. Im asking because I ve read about the special needs silkies have, for example I know is not healthy to feed them layer because of the calcium level, only types here are for egg or meet production poultry (not All Flock type) in different stages (grower, etc.). I ve read about FF advantages in this forum but unfortunately is not easy to find some ingredients around here so its not an option.
Thanks.

Hi, need advice, can someone recommend me a brand (type) of poultry food for silkies so I can read the nutritional info and compare with the products here in my country. Im asking because I ve read about the special needs silkies have, for example I know is not healthy to feed them layer because of the calcium level, only types here are for egg or meet production poultry (not All Flock type) in different stages (grower, etc.). I ve read about FF advantages in this forum but unfortunately is not easy to find some ingredients around here so its not an option.
Thanks.
I feed poulin gamebird starter crumbles, and i'm also going to be trying rock n' rooster booster feed. The meat bird food may be fine. I give protein 21-22%. Also you don't needanything but your own feed for fermenting =) I used to add all sorts of stuff but then I read a blog about it and now i've been doing lactic fermentation. You add your feed, and any grains they like (I add rock n' rooster 5 grain scratch but you can get most of the ingredients anywhere) and fill it with water to a inch or two above the fed. Make sure you check it after an hour or so to make sure the food didn't expand over the water level, if it did add more water. Stir it at least twice a day and after a couple days voila! You just add in more food as you take food out. You want to use a glass or plastic container, but make sure the plastic is BPA free.

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html

Last edited:
I can't recall what my Cone looked like when I was a young chick.
yuckyuck.gif

Good Morning,
I would appreciate feedback ( education) on what a Silked Silkie is?
I have tried to find info on my own unsuccessfully.
I sent pictures to the seller a few weeks ago and she replied.
"It looks like you might have a silked".
Will post pics a little later today.
Thank You

Good Morning,
I would appreciate feedback ( education) on what a Silked Silkie is?
I have tried to find info on my own unsuccessfully.
I sent pictures to the seller a few weeks ago and she replied.
"It looks like you might have a silked".
Will post pics a little later today.
Thank You
idunno.gif
All Silkies are silkied. I have never heard of Silked. What did you buy that you were asking questions about?

Silkied means they have two copies of the "silkied" gene for split feathers. This is what gives them the fuzzy look instead of the feathered look. I have no clue what she means by "It looks like you might have a silked".... perhaps she forgot the i in Silkied?

Yes, please do post a picture - I would be interested in knowing what shows as different...

Last edited:
idunno.gif
All Silkies are silkied. I have never heard of Silked. Is it another breed?

Silkied means they have two copies of the "silkied" gene for split feathers. This is what gives them the fuzzy look instead of the feathered look. I have no clue what she means by "It looks like you might have a silked".... perhaps she forgot the i in Silkied?

Yes, please do post a picture - I would be interested in knowing what shows as different...
Thank you for your response..............Makes sense why I could not find any info.
I am going to PM the seller.....Maybe I misunderstood something
idunno.gif

I will do pic's today.
They are 6 weeks now and so beautiful I can't stop watching them................
big_smile.png

I went out to get the eggs and my silkie hen was growling and puffing up and I looked under her and there is 3 eggs it's November in Ohio and theres snow on the ground and cold of course and this silkie hen was born this past spring and isnt a year old yet but I think I'm gonna go ahead and let her sit these eggs what do you think??

Back
Top Bottom