Silkie thread!

I am not sure I would even call him Smutty Buff - I would just call him an Easter Egger because of his mom. I think your Buff rooster may already be Smutty Buff - check his wings and tail carefully for any black or blue. Partridge distillation of Buff would be my guess if you want the genetics for him.  I suspect Black mom carries only one E gene and one e^b or e+ gene base.  He didn't get the Black - so that's why he can show other colors.  He looks like he will be a striking and different boy though.
thank you for your wonderful explanation:) I haven't seen any black on that rooster, but I guess I'll look again. So there really is no name for this color then? Oh well, he's a sweet mix anyway. I'm almost positive he's a rooster, and I have far to many.... I get attached to easily I suppose. Hopefully I can find him (and other roosters) a good home.

So I have a question:) I have six silkie chicks, two of which are half silkie. This guy that I'm posting pictures of started out black with some brown in the face, and so far he has feathered out like this. His father was a buff silkie, and mother a black Easter egger (she snuck eggs under my silkie hen.. Or more likely my silkie just decided to lay her eggs there too and go broody XD ) would this chick be considered a smutty buff? Or what? Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
Your welcome and yes, he is a boy. I would also guess that your Buff rooster only carries one gene for the Pea and the Rose comb because your boy looks to be straight combed as well.

Your welcome and yes, he is a boy. I would also guess that your Buff rooster only carries one gene for the Pea and the Rose comb because your boy looks to be straight combed as well.
Yes he's thrown one weird comb on a pure silkie before, not exactly straight comb >.< but he is darker in color so his offspring normally have very nice coloring. The Easter egger hen actually has a V comb, and the second black mix chick has a Rose comb.

Out of curiosity... This little pink egg came from my Sicilian Buttercup (first egg today!) my curiosity is regarding the size compared to a normal Silkie egg...? Bigger, smaller, same? The egg next to it is from an Easter Egger. The green egg is about the size of a store bought medium to large size egg. Thoughts?

Sorry about the poor quality pic, my phone has a bad camera, and the Silkie and Delaware eggs were from in my incubator, so I had to take the pic quickly.

From left to right: one of my Silkie eggs, my Delaware's egg, and a medium size store egg.

Back
Top Bottom