Silkie thread!

Well, I started a new venture this weekend. I am making hen saddles. I have 3 large fowl hens with feathers missing from our rooster, they seemed so warm when I put on their jackets, I decided to make them for the rest of the girls. The silkies don't seem to need them, they don't act like the cold bothers them at all.

Gracie is finally getting her spashes!! I'm so excited. I wanted a splash so much from my blues and I got one!!

Yay, such cute splashes too! And no - my silkies don't need any saddles - they aren't cold and they aren't broken feathers. I wonder if the split feathers are stronger or just don't break like the regular ones.

Oh, and Urchin, sorry about Thunderhead. Ella will get over him if she has chicks. Chickens have short memory - a week is all I think they can remember. If I take one bird out for a week everybody acts like its a new bird when I put it back. You can always try a new buddy and see how it goes but I think she will be just fine with just the chicks.

I hatched four splash and two blue Catdance Silkies! The splash and blue are my favorite colors and this gives me some higher quality Silkies than the ones I am hatching from my own flock. I had one egg hatch from a different pen than the rest but I had four chicks hatch at once so I don't know which one I could breed with the others. Out of those four, there were three splash and one blue so it would be easy if the blue is the one from the other pen but both pens are BBS so I can't tell from the color of the chicks. Hopefully all six are pullets and I won't have to worry about which ones could be bred together if I had been able to mark it at hatching. I have two friends who want chicks from this batch but I don't think I will have enough pullets to share!

I've been away from all of my friends here on BYC for quite a while. Live got real busy. But I am able to talk about it now, I lost my baby girl Marbles. All the girls were out in the yard munching on whatever they could find while I enjoyed my morning coffee. She jumped into my lap and snuggled for a few minutes. I needed to get going somewhere, so I went inside to brush my teeth. I was gone 3 minutes. I walked to the window as I was brushing and saw Lucielle (RIR) all fluffed up doing her rooster strut. I threw my brush down and ran outside. Everyone was in the coop except Marbles. I walked out into the yard and saw the feathers. About 15 feet into the woods he was on her. I chased him off of her. But it was too late. I cried for 2 days. Still so upset. What a special girl she was.

I've been away from all of my friends here on BYC for quite a while. Live got real busy. But I am able to talk about it now, I lost my baby girl Marbles. All the girls were out in the yard munching on whatever they could find while I enjoyed my morning coffee. She jumped into my lap and snuggled for a few minutes. I needed to get going somewhere, so I went inside to brush my teeth. I was gone 3 minutes. I walked to the window as I was brushing and saw Lucielle (RIR) all fluffed up doing her rooster strut. I threw my brush down and ran outside. Everyone was in the coop except Marbles. I walked out into the yard and saw the feathers. About 15 feet into the woods he was on her. I chased him off of her. But it was too late. I cried for 2 days. Still so upset. What a special girl she was.
I hate to ask, but what actually happen what is "he"?

@blipit007 sorry, my quote thing isnt't working...

So sorry for your loss. I have heard so many stories about silkies being taken by hawks because the silkies cant see very well. We don't let ours free range because of this, and because they don't walk far anyways. They don't seem to mind. So sorry and she looks like a gorgeous girl. Rest in peace Marbles

So sorry. :hugs

Breaks my heart, so sorry.

I'm so sorry. It's been a bad week for silkie owners.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom