Silkie thread!

Depends on the cross. The yellow in Wyandotte seems to be dominant.

Different (and not incompatible) genes. Also take into account the id gene that determines leg colour.

Fm (fibromelanosis--aka black skin) gene is incompletely dominant--a bird with two copies has darker skin than one with one copy.
I did a couple silkie mix test hatches, I bred a silkie to an ameraucana, a wyandotte, and a fayoumi.
The ameraucana/silkies all have greenish colored legs and light skin, the wyandottes all have yellow legs and dark skin, and the fayoumi all had blueish slate legs and light skin.

so far, all I DO know is that if you breed a black and white, you get a splash....but if you breed two splash together, you DO NOT get a splash.

also, I have a silkie mix...just hatched December 31st. her name is Milkshake....yeah.

she has white skin on her belly, black skin on her back. which is why I named her milkshake
lol.png

It relly depends what type of chicken you breed with the silkie. if you bred another black skinned chicken with it then it WILL have black skin. if you breed it with white skinned bird, you may come out with another milkshake!
Actually no, a black and a white will not get you splash, not even if the white has splash in their background. Also splash with splash should give you 100% splash always. Here is a good reference to use when breeding BBS. http://www.ravencroftrookery.com/si...unnett-squares-for-blue-black-splash-silkies/

Last edited:
Pouf sounds like a blue with gold leakage. Your solid grey babies are blue, not grey. They will likely develop appropriate darker areas as they mature.
Leakage just sounds......geriatric, lol!
hide.gif
big_smile.png
That is probably why I have never been able to put a color label on him. I was able to get some more pics with help. So even though the two gray babies look like different colors of gray, they are both blue?

Please forgive the recycled windows that just went up in this little greenhouse we just put together. Seriously need cleaning after being in an old guys storage for who knows how long. But it was nice for all of us to take these pics out of the wind.

In this pic Pepper and the baby that has the same coloring as her is standing. The lighter one is sitting in the middle.

In this picture they had switched places. The light one is on the left and the one that looks like Pepper is standing in the middle. The lighter one is smaller and is just the cutest little thing when they are all running around
smile.png

I rather like the smoother tone of this one, rather than the dark and light combo on the others.

Pouf.......with his leaky self ;)

These are just our backyard pets. Just looking for knowledge. We all love the momma and the babies. Pouf on the other hand has been naughty!

We had the lavender am hatch out 2 babies that were a cross between her and the above pictured Pouf. They both have the dark skin.

And 2 crosses that were a Frizzled White Cochin x Pouf.
This one obviously doesn't have the dark skin, but he sure is cool looking and only partially grown. The other one has all dark skin though, and smooth solid black feathers. Sweet as can be.

Leakage just sounds......geriatric, lol!
hide.gif
big_smile.png
That is probably why I have never been able to put a color label on him. I was able to get some more pics with help. So even though the two gray babies look like different colors of gray, they are both blue?

Please forgive the recycled windows that just went up in this little greenhouse we just put together. Seriously need cleaning after being in an old guys storage for who knows how long. But it was nice for all of us to take these pics out of the wind.

In this pic Pepper and the baby that has the same coloring as her is standing. The lighter one is sitting in the middle.

In this picture they had switched places. The light one is on the left and the one that looks like Pepper is standing in the middle. The lighter one is smaller and is just the cutest little thing when they are all running around
smile.png

I rather like the smoother tone of this one, rather than the dark and light combo on the others.

Pouf.......with his leaky self ;)

These are just our backyard pets. Just looking for knowledge. We all love the momma and the babies. Pouf on the other hand has been naughty!

They are as cute as can be. Pouf has a red comb and wattles. If you were wanting to breed for more than pets you would want to look for black skin, comb, and wattles. I have blue roos one is much lighter in color like your small baby. I would love to have one of your splash. I've been on the look out for a blue hen, but had no luck. Guess I will start out with chicks.

They are as cute as can be. Pouf has a red comb and wattles. If you were wanting to breed for more than pets you would want to look for black skin, comb, and wattles. I have blue roos one is much lighter in color like your small baby. I would love to have one of your splash. I've been on the look out for a blue hen, but had no luck. Guess I will start out with chicks.
Thank you for the help! Its good to know. We got them all from our local feed store. They order from Privette hatchery.

Would it be bad to use a baby from Pouf as the daddy though?

I would love to get a really nice splash roo to go with Pepper.

Leakage just sounds......geriatric, lol!:oops: :D That is probably why I have never been able to put a color label on him. I was able to get some more pics with help. So even though the two gray babies look like different colors of gray, they are both blue? Please forgive the recycled windows that just went up in this little greenhouse we just put together. Seriously need cleaning after being in an old guys storage for who knows how long. But it was nice for all of us to take these pics out of the wind. In this pic Pepper and the baby that has the same coloring as her is standing. The lighter one is sitting in the middle. In this picture they had switched places. The light one is on the left and the one that looks like Pepper is standing in the middle. The lighter one is smaller and is just the cutest little thing when they are all running around :) I rather like the smoother tone of this one, rather than the dark and light combo on the others. Pouf.......with his leaky self ;) These are just our backyard pets. Just looking for knowledge. We all love the momma and the babies. Pouf on the other hand has been naughty!
There are different shades of blue. Pouf reminds me of my first silkie Hermey, still have him and he's a great pet:)

I have not been on this thread in a very long time so I am very behind. I have previously raised 2 Catdance Silkies, a Splash and a Porcelain, they both turned out to be cockerals and were sadly rehomed this past summer when they were six months old. I decided to try my hand at Silkies again and found a seller here on BYC and just hatched 7 Silkie chicks a few days ago. I got a variety of colors from the hatch and they are super cute me and my daughters are in love with the cuteness.

I hatched 2 Partridge, 2 Splash, 2 White, 1 Blue
Partridge

Partridge

both Partridge

Partridge side by side to show color pattern

Splash

Splash

both Splash

White

White

Blue

Back