Silkie thread!

two questions:
1. has anyone else noticed this? my silkie eggs taste better than any other breed
2. how are showgirls sooo adorable? :love

Yes, and they have very thick shells. When my granddaughter helps collect the eggs, I let her collect the silkie eggs cause they ' bounce ' well. I haven't had a single breakage in postage. Same can't be said for my larger eggs.

Hi could anyone help me out with what colours these chicks may turn out. They ate 3 days old. thanks

My silkie won best mama of the year award! I had a blue copper Marans go homicidal on her chicks as they hatched over a week ago. I was able to catch her and save one of her two chicks. I didn't want to raise the chick all on her own so I put her with this white silkie who's been sitting on black copper Marans eggs. Mama silkie sat on eggs, and raised the orphaned chick for a week!! She successfully hatched all four viable eggs even with having a new chick climbing all over her. Now she has 5 little fuzzy bundles of joy and she couldn't look prouder. Looks like 7 silkies isn't enough and I need to buy some hatching eggs!!!!

My silkie won best mama of the year award! I had a blue copper Marans go homicidal on her chicks as they hatched over a week ago. I was able to catch her and save one of her two chicks. I didn't want to raise the chick all on her own so I put her with this white silkie who's been sitting on black copper Marans eggs. Mama silkie sat on eggs, and raised the orphaned chick for a week!! She successfully hatched all four viable eggs even with having a new chick climbing all over her. Now she has 5 little fuzzy bundles of joy and she couldn't look prouder. Looks like 7 silkies isn't enough and I need to buy some hatching eggs!!!!

What a little trooper.

Blue silkies usually have one white toenail, whereas black silkies have all black toes.
Not always. Silkies are supposed to always have black toes (not necessarily toenails they are white a lot of the time) unless they have pigment holes in their skin which is considered a defect (only 1 point off per toe though in a show). I have a blue and a black(both 4 months old) and they both have all white nails, another blue hen with all white nails and another black with all black nails. It depends on their lineage. The blue hen with the white nails is the mother of the two babies.

Pam, You have beautiful Silkies. We have a few and have been thinking of hatching.

There are NOT many Silkie Lovers in New York State. What make of incyubator would you recommend? And what model? And should it have a turner. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Aria

Thanks so much!  As far as incubators, I'm not a good one to ask.  I'm just starting out, and got a cheap one that I got on ebay.  It came in a package deal that has the electric turner. It's a Hovabator.  The first couple of  hatches, it worked great. Now, tho, I'm having trouble with the humidity.  My last hatch didn't go so well because of it.   Thanks for the compliment :)    -Pam
Pam, Thanks for your quick reply. Another BYC gal purchased Silkies and she asked the woman from whom whe purchased them. She was great to let me know asap too.

It is a mini Brinea. She is trying to hatch. We purchased on today Amazon.com ....it holds 10 eggs ...is tiny and free shipping. We are so excited...it is arriving Wednesday. Good Luck with your hatch. So looking forward to trying this for the first time. Regards, Aria

Pam I 'm going to be in the search for silkie pullets and hens. Those boys are something else. Still refusing to sleep in the box with the others. I do have them up of the ground on a upside down plastic pallet and about 6 inches of hay to snuggle in. I really want a blue hen to go with them so hopefully I can get splash. I love the partridge, but that's the pullet I lost. What color did you tell me their parents were?

Back
Top Bottom