Silkie thread!

I keep reading about peoples Silkies getting sick over the winter or even dying. Are Silkies more susceptible to disease or does the cold really affect them in a way that makes them look sick, because chickens don't get colds. So all this talk about Silkies not feeling well gets me a little nervous. I have not over wintered Silkies yet (they are just chicks right now)so Im not sure what to expect. I have a coop for them already that is being housed by ducks at the moment. This Spring I plan to modify the coop to better suit the Silkies and keep them warmer.

Is it possible for some of you to post pics of the coops you house your Silkies in especially if you live in an area with harsh weather. Also curious does anyone add anything to their Silkie runs to keep their feet less wet and less muddy in bad weather, like playground sand or small pebbles?

I have 7-ish (?) silkies and 4 sizzles/smooth sizzles and I haven't had any problem with them in this cold weather. Wind, rain, snow, cold days -They've done great. We have a large covered run and sheds for them. After the snow storms we put straw down in the run for all the chickens. (They share the run with our LF chickens) The only silkie we've lost this year is to a hawk attack. They do fine 98% of the time. So don't worry. Weird cold winter.
1f60a.png

Our kiddos are getting big! 3+ months now.
Belle

Lumi

Lily

Grayson/ Gracie

Sheldon

Henley

Chance
I think Gracie is Grason now but Im not disappointed, he is going to be a pretty splash roo.

Last edited:
I was afraid of this. Well not afraid but thought it was probably a cross. 4 toes on each foot and some type of odd comb. I do not have anything black except Australourp HENS... and a duck. lol No webbed feet. I do have two Silkie x d'Uccle roos maybe one of them is the daddy.

...chick in back just took a belly flop in water.

Mama:

Possible Daddy:

I no longer have the non bearded. Its one of theses guys or a Porcelain d'Uccle or a white Sultan. My guess would be one of these guys. I do have 4 bearded silkie roos, but I don't think its them. It will be fun to see.

Oh.... I do have a black Frizzle Silkie. I'm sure its a pullet though... 99.99999%

I was afraid of this. Well not afraid but thought it was probably a cross. 4 toes on each foot and some type of odd comb. I do not have anything black except Australourp HENS... and a duck. lol No webbed feet. I do have two Silkie x d'Uccle roos maybe one of them is the daddy.

...chick in back just took a belly flop in water.

Mama:

Possible Daddy:

I no longer have the non bearded. Its one of theses guys or a Porcelain d'Uccle or a white Sultan. My guess would be one of these guys. I do have 4 bearded silkie roos, but I don't think its them. It will be fun to see.

Oh.... I do have a black Frizzle Silkie. I'm sure its a pullet though... 99.99999%

Are those on the bottom Favorales? I love them. I've been wanting to make room for some. I saw that someone in the Chattanooga area sells them.

Are those on the bottom Favorales? I love them. I've been wanting to make room for some. I saw that someone in the Chattanooga area sells them.

No those are a Silkie x d'Uccle cross. The lady I bought my d'Uccle from gave them to me.
barnie.gif
Like I needed more roos.... I do think they are very pretty mutts though. The other chicks are D'anver.

Back
Top Bottom