Silkie thread!

Hi everyone. Could you critique my Silkie hen? I've had her for a while now but only since I bought 5 other silkies that I noticed she was so much fluffier than they were (I suspect they were low quality silkies). I'm not interested in showing but I'd like to know where she is on the scale.

Note: She just got over a bit of a cold so she's a tad on the thin side. We are keeping her in the house until she gains some weight, but today was a good day for photos. :)

(You can see she's a bit thin in this photo especially. Don't worry, she's eating great now! Back up to weight in no time.)
She's pretty nice but her crest is a little small and her back is too long. You want silkies to have that S shape. Everything else looks great from what I can tell from the photos.

Hi everyone. Could you critique my Silkie hen? I've had her for a while now but only since I bought 5 other silkies that I noticed she was so much fluffier than they were (I suspect they were low quality silkies). I'm not interested in showing but I'd like to know where she is on the scale.

Note: She just got over a bit of a cold so she's a tad on the thin side. We are keeping her in the house until she gains some weight, but today was a good day for photos. :)

(You can see she's a bit thin in this photo especially. Don't worry, she's eating great now! Back up to weight in no time.)

She's a very beautiful girl. Reminds me of my two white hens. I can't comment on her quality, though, because I'm still pretty new at this chicken keeping thing.

My paint rooster has a good s shape. Sorry about the feet though. It's an old picture, but they're clean now. Lol!

wish I could help with feedback but I am to new myself....................But she is cute as a bugs ear.......I like her
big_smile.png

It looks like I will be taking some Silkie roosters to the auction in the morning. I got a letter in the mail today stating that a "concerned citizen" reported a nuisance on my property so I suspect it is the fact that I have young roosters that are crowing. I have had roosters for awhile so I don't think it is roosters in general (we are not the only ones with roosters in our area) but I don't know because whatever coward filed a complaint never reported their concern to me personally. I had not planned to keep these roosters myself but I had hoped they could join flocks of their own. I will have to start killing my Orpington roosters before they crow so I don't bother anyone with my backyard birds. Ironically, we have some noisy neighbors who I have never reported but I am not the kind of person who needs other people to hide behind when there is a problem. I don't know if this will fix the problem but it should help. Sadly, I sold the pet quality ones and saved the nicest ones for last to sell!

It looks like I will be taking some Silkie roosters to the auction in the morning. I got a letter in the mail today stating that a "concerned citizen" reported a nuisance on my property so I suspect it is the fact that I have young roosters that are crowing. I have had roosters for awhile so I don't think it is roosters in general (we are not the only ones with roosters in our area) but I don't know because whatever coward filed a complaint never reported their concern to me personally. I had not planned to keep these roosters myself but I had hoped they could join flocks of their own. I will have to start killing my Orpington roosters before they crow so I don't bother anyone with my backyard birds. Ironically, we have some noisy neighbors who I have never reported but I am not the kind of person who needs other people to hide behind when there is a problem. I don't know if this will fix the problem but it should help. Sadly, I sold the pet quality ones and saved the nicest ones for last to sell!

Don't you get a little time to fix the problem? They can't expect it to be solved overnight. Maybe you can find some homes.

She's pretty nice but her crest is a little small and her back is too long. You want silkies to have that S shape. Everything else looks great from what I can tell from the photos.

She looks perfectly balanced to me. They don't all have that huge bonnet crest, and when they don't their tail and crest should balance, smaller crest=smaller tail. She looks very nice to me, she could do for a nail trim and some weight but she has nice tight wings. A lot of show silkies are trained to stand in that S shape stance, some do it naturally if they have a VERY short back but I had to train my hen and i'll be training her daughter and a few of my others as well. Very nice bird
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom