Silkie thread!

Well, instead of chicks I've decided to get eggs instead. Its going to be a mixed batch. The woman I'm getting them from is really nice and even offered to meet me somewhere. I just have to talk my mother into bringing me. (I don't know the area well)

She looks perfectly balanced to me. They don't all have that huge bonnet crest, and when they don't their tail and crest should balance, smaller crest=smaller tail. She looks very nice to me, she could do for a nail trim and some weight but she has nice tight wings. A lot of show silkies are trained to stand in that S shape stance, some do it naturally if they have a VERY short back but I had to train my hen and i'll be training her daughter and a few of my others as well. Very nice bird :thumbsup
I've never heard of training them to stand that way. My birds have always just done it naturally. How do you train them?

Last edited:
I have 2 roos and a hen. Ichabod is a splash roo who I sadly think is infertile, a 4 month old white roo Isaac and a blue hen Lydia.

when I fist introduced Ichabod and Lydia last year I remember Lydia attacked him and he attacked her. Then that was over. He was already at least a year. He does his wing dance but never dies the deed.

Isaac I got as a chick and got him to fertilize her eggs when he's older. I introduced them now since he is taller and he attacked her and she didn't attack him. But he stopped seeing she wasn't a threat.

now I thought I'd see how the two roos would interact as I a month ago Ichabod chased him around .

now... In shock there all three staying in yard together and eating together. No altercations with the roos. Which shocked me.

Isaacs smaller than Ichabod so idk if he thinks he is a hen maybe

why is this sudden change?

She looks perfectly balanced to me. They don't all have that huge bonnet crest, and when they don't their tail and crest should balance, smaller crest=smaller tail. She looks very nice to me, she could do for a nail trim and some weight but she has nice tight wings. A lot of show silkies are trained to stand in that S shape stance, some do it naturally if they have a VERY short back but I had to train my hen and i'll be training her daughter and a few of my others as well. Very nice bird
thumbsup.gif
Thank you! She's not a show bird so I'm not concerned that she isn't trained to stand right. :) She was also too distracted by the metal she was standing on, lol, trying to eat it. So funny!

If she has a smaller crest, then I'm pretty sure the extra silkies someone just gave me are low quality, lol - their crests are half her size. More like shock tops than crests!

Thank you! She's not a show bird so I'm not concerned that she isn't trained to stand right. :) She was also too distracted by the metal she was standing on, lol, trying to eat it. So funny!

If she has a smaller crest, then I'm pretty sure the extra silkies someone just gave me are low quality, lol - their crests are half her size. More like shock tops than crests!

Yes these are just hatchery or pet quality. I would not breed them. Your white is gorgeous, but these have very little crest and very few foot and leg feathers.

Yes these are just hatchery or pet quality. I would not breed them. Your white is gorgeous, but these have very little crest and very few foot and leg feathers.
These are the ones I'm using to produce meat birds. I want fibro meat chickens, and how many feathers they have don't effect how good they taste. :)

Okay I'm bumping this because this thread moves fast! Can someone give me a guess on sex for my 3 ish month olds?

From the comb I can see I would say that #'s 2 &5 are roos cant see enough of the others to tell one way or another. Something is saying girl about #1, but at 3 months its really hard to tell good clear pics of their combs would help.

Back
Top Bottom