Silkie thread!

A dear friend of mine in Abu Dhabi is one of the world's more renowned falcon experts.  He's also an avian vet.  He was the person who got me interested in chickens and convinced me I should have a few Silkies.  He loves chickens, especially Silkies.  The other day I was sharing a silly story about taking my broody Silkie pullet out of the nest box for about the 10th time that day when she laid an egg in the air and it dropped with a decided "thunk" two feet to the ground without breaking. Silkie acted as if nothing had happened, walked over for a drink and went back to the nest to be broody.

Somehow using Silkies to hatch eggs came up in our conversation and he told me that in the 70s, when Peregrine falcons were almost made extinct by DDT, they used Silkies--SILKIES--to incubate their eggs.  He told me they still do and he wishes he had some Silkies for his breeding facility in the Middle East.  Can you imagine?  I had visions of hatchling falcons slowly eating mama Silkie as she frantically tried to protect them.  I was happy to learn they remove the eggs to an incubator as soon as they pip so the falcon doesn't imprint on the chicken.

I thought this group would enjoy that little bit of trivia.

Very very interesting. Thanks for sharing. People laugh when I say ' my silkies would hatch an emu egg , if I gave them one'

Hey guys,

I just rehomed my two silkie boys leaving me with five full size hens and one silkie hen. The full size hens all sleep on the roost. The silkies all piled up. Now my little silkie girl is sleeping by herself.

Should I try to train her to roost or just leave her alone? Do I need to get a few more silkie girls to keep her company? What would you do?

Thank you!

LMAO... Just yesterday I was out trying to herd the bantam in there coop so I could turn the LF out. I use a old broom handle . A buzzard came flying over and all the stragglers came running up to me like I would protect them. One of my d'Uccle hens went about 10 feet up and 40ft across yard to escape me, but came running like I was the Mama hen when the giant bird flew over and by that point I can say I was holding the broom handle like a baseball bat.
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom