Silkie thread!

I figured I would have to order chicks, but luckily this one is POL. I think the only reason she is willing to part with it is because she really likes my daughter and we talk chickens a lot.

I understand that feather sexing day old silkies is not accurate...is that true? And if so do you all find no correlation between pullets wing and tail feathers coming in earlier than a little roo?

I understand that feather sexing day old silkies is not accurate...is that true? And if so do you all find no correlation between pullets wing and tail feathers coming in earlier than a little roo?

From what I hear depends on the breed for feather sexing and I'm not sure on silkies since mine are still in the bator and I've yet to look it up. But everyone says you have to wait with silkies till they are older so I would say feather sexing don't work on them.

Feather sexing does not work on Silkies. Guessing sometimes works - but only if you know your lines. The only thing that really works is if they lay an egg. Otherwise.. its a guess..

Feather sexing does not work on Silkies.  Guessing sometimes works - but only if you know your lines.  The only thing that really works is if they lay an egg.  Otherwise.. its a guess..

Ok...that's what I thought I understood about silkies. Thank you so much for the reply...it's always fun to have a surprise!! :)

Hi everyone, I need an opinion. This little Silkie was thought to be a hen. However, 'she' always stands up tall like a roo, has larger wattles than 'her' for-sure-female flock mates (but not as big as the for-sure-roo), has hackle feathers almost as long as the roos, and has a bigger comb than the females (even though its much smaller than the roos, and not dark purple like his). These were given to me so I don't know the exact age, but 'she' was still chirping like a chick 2mo ago when we got 'her' (and isn't now). Obviously, no crowing, or we would know. 'She' seems to have half the traits as a hen and half of a roo, so, opinions!

Yes, I know 'she' has barely any crest fluff. None of them do that were given to me. But they are almost twice as big as my petite fluffier silkies (but still not as big as standard hens), so I am using them as a meat silkie group. I'm pretty sure they were crossed with something not too far back along the line, cause my half silkie half ee hens have crests about the same size (sans silkie-feathering). The egg that one of them gave me (the only adult hen, before she started molting) was a pinkish-cream-white, not pure white like my normal silkies, too.

Anyway, here 'she' is:

To compare, here is the roo and the adult hen from that bunch:

Pullet or roo help!!

Please help me sex the silkie in the above photos. It is almost 4 months old. All guesses are welcome!! Please help me!! What do you think? ?

Back
Top Bottom