Silkie thread!

Her and Mr Silver Britches. If I breed the two what will I get? BBS?

Congrats! She looks Splash. If you breed blue X Splash, you get about 50 percent blue, 50 percent splash. Then, if you breed blue to blue, you get about 50 percent blue, 25 percent black, 25 percent splash. Breeding splash to splash will produce splash- but their color will soon dilute. She's a beauty! -Pam

Feather sexing does not work on Silkies. Guessing sometimes works - but only if you know your lines. The only thing that really works is if they lay an egg. Otherwise.. its a guess..
I hope you are feeling better ChickNmamma
hugs.gif

I lost my best 3 month old porcelain pullet chick
hit.gif
I think she had a brain injury from the rowdy Marans chicks running over her. I hand fed her for days, but she just faded away
sad.png

The only white chick (my others are porcelain and one blue) really stands out from the others. She has a beautiful S profile. Catdance has obviously perfected her whites
wink.png
I wasn't really crazy about the whites, but I sure am now!! She is beautiful!

My two porcelain roosters are looking very nice, but the third that looks all lavender developed a crossed beak
sad.png
I still have not made up my mind which of the two porcelain roosters I want to keep. I like the color on the darker boy, but the other one has better type.

I am loving my first Silkies! They are so talkative, friendly and curious
love.gif

I hope you are feeling better ChickNmamma
hugs.gif

I lost my best 3 month old porcelain pullet chick
hit.gif
I think she had a brain injury from the rowdy Marans chicks running over her. I hand fed her for days, but she just faded away
sad.png

The only white chick (my others are porcelain and one blue) really stands out from the others. She has a beautiful S profile. Catdance has obviously perfected her whites
wink.png
I wasn't really crazy about the whites, but I sure am now!! She is beautiful!

My two porcelain roosters are looking very nice, but the third that looks all lavender developed a crossed beak
sad.png
I still have not made up my mind which of the two porcelain roosters I want to keep. I like the color on the darker boy, but the other one has better type.

I am loving my first Silkies! They are so talkative, friendly and curious
love.gif
Thanks Chickee. I am getting better but its a slow road. I am not going to be able to drive to Chickenstocks
sad.png

I am so sorry about your porcelain chick!
hugs.gif
She was a beauty too...

Yes, the Whites are easy to perfect - and you can make more whites in two generations using any color rooster you want. Just keep using the best type.

Oh dang, sorry the Lavender one developed a cross beak... not fun. You can keep both Porcelain roosters.. its always wise to have a backup... And they are the best breed for not picking on each other once they establish who is boss. I have 3 boys in one pen and 2 in the other.. no ruckus..

And I am glad you are enjoying your Sillies - I love mine too!

I keep reading about the silkies and its making me more and more anxious to get my chicks. how loud are the roosters? we have neighbors so we cant have overly loud roos.
also does anyone have experience showing silkies? either 4-H or something else? we are getting hatchery birds but would that mean they couldnt be shown?

Thanks Chickee. I am getting better but its a slow road. I am not going to be able to drive to Chickenstocks
sad.png

I am so sorry about your porcelain chick!
hugs.gif
She was a beauty too...

Yes, the Whites are easy to perfect - and you can make more whites in two generations using any color rooster you want. Just keep using the best type.

Oh dang, sorry the Lavender one developed a cross beak... not fun. You can keep both Porcelain roosters.. its always wise to have a backup... And they are the best breed for not picking on each other once they establish who is boss. I have 3 boys in one pen and 2 in the other.. no ruckus..

And I am glad you are enjoying your Sillies - I love mine too!
I am glad to hear you are getting better
smile.png

That is good to know about the whites. I don't have a boy good enough for her, so I just might have to order more eggs. Like I really need more! I do love my lavender pullet so that is another color that I might need more of.
hide.gif

I have a little ramp out of the chick house into a small yard and my Silkies will NOT go out! Even watching the GCM chicks go in and out doesn't help! I think I am going to have to set up a separate day pen and make them go out. I am worried because they aren't getting sunshine.

I keep reading about the silkies and its making me more and more anxious to get my chicks. how loud are the roosters? we have neighbors so we cant have overly loud roos.
also does anyone have experience showing silkies? either 4-H or something else? we are getting hatchery birds but would that mean they couldnt be shown?
Yes most likely hatchery stock will not be showquality. You will want to buy from a breeder with good stock for that, but itis very rewarding and addicting once you do get into it and win! It's fun when you don't win too, but it's more fun if you do
wink.png
If you decide to get some show stock and ahve questions about showing you cna always ask me or any of the other experienced exhibitors on "silkie breeding, genetics, and showing". The loudness level varies rooster to rooster.

Back
Top Bottom