Silkie thread!

Do any of you have broody experience? My girl and her chicks are in a rubbermaid tote. They are doing great and eating drinking and running around. The thing is there are still two eggs under her. Today she moved over a bit, but took the eggs with her. I had to move her back because she was sitting weird. When I moved her I heard chirping coming from one of the eggs. The other four hatched on Saturday, they were a day early, the ones under her now were a day younger than the others and today is a day late to hatch. So they aren't terribly late, but I am concerned she will get off of them before they hatch. Although when I moved her back she nestled down on the eggs. Can she hear the chirping from that egg? I have been really anxious waiting for these last two eggs to hatch.
Yes, the hen can hear the eggs. And she will set until the last eggs hatch, mine sat for 6 days. Leave the chicks in close quarters so they don't run off and call momma away from the eggs and they will probably all hatch for you. Be sure and post pictures when they are all fluffed out and running around..

Yes, the hen can hear the eggs. And she will set until the last eggs hatch, mine sat for 6 days. Leave the chicks in close quarters so they don't run off and call momma away from the eggs and they will probably all hatch for you. Be sure and post pictures when they are all fluffed out and running around..
Thank you Dian! I'm a nervous nelly lol. In case you missed it this, this is their brooder. They are in the left half of the rubbermaid tote. The little ones run to the other side sometimes,but come right back for drinks and to get under mom. Im so glad they are in the house. They can get excercise. They would be hudled under her outside, it is 9 degrees out. Also they are eating purina flock raiser, is that okay? I used to use Dumor chick starter, but I switched everyone to flock raiser.

Last edited:
Do any of you have broody experience? My girl and her chicks are in a rubbermaid tote. They are doing great and eating drinking and running around. The thing is there are still two eggs under her. Today she moved over a bit, but took the eggs with her. I had to move her back because she was sitting weird. When I moved her I heard chirping coming from one of the eggs. The other four hatched on Saturday, they were a day early, the ones under her now were a day younger than the others and today is a day late to hatch. So they aren't terribly late, but I am concerned she will get off of them before they hatch. Although when I moved her back she nestled down on the eggs. Can she hear the chirping from that egg? I have been really anxious waiting for these last two eggs to hatch.

Give her a few more days. If they chicks are strong they will hatch :) if they don't after a few days. Candle them. No movement they didn't make it and just remove them. Movement? Give them a little more time.

Give her a few more days. If they chicks are strong they will hatch
smile.png
if they don't after a few days. Candle them. No movement they didn't make it and just remove them. Movement? Give them a little more time.
Thank you. I was worried she would abandon viable eggs. I candled them last night and saw the one was internally pipped, its chirping today. The other one was moving on day 18, I thought I saw some movement last night, but Im not sure.

Thank you. I was worried she would abandon viable eggs. I candled them last night and saw the one was internally pipped, its chirping today. The other one was moving on day 18, I thought I saw some movement last night, but Im not sure.

Stay strong and keep checking occasionally. My silkie will sit til I remove dead eggs. Silly girl wants all of them to hatch. So she most likely won't abandon them til you take them or they hatch :) they are very persistent.

Stay strong and keep checking occasionally. My silkie will sit til I remove dead eggs. Silly girl wants all of them to hatch. So she most likely won't abandon them til you take them or they hatch
smile.png
they are very persistent.
I went and checked on her. She had moved forward a bit and was half standing tidbitting food for the little ones. The eggs were back under her tail exposed. I put them up underneath her. I also closed off half of the rubbermaid tote snce she gets upset when the little turds go to far away. I attached a wireless security camera to the brooder so I can watch them from another room. She is very adamant about tidbitting she does it constantly. They are eating fine. I'm concerned she will get absent minded about the eggs. She is still laying down now. Am I being paranoid? lol I thought about making the room dark so she would relax.

Last edited:
I went and checked on her. She had moved forward a bit and was half standing tidbitting food for the little ones. The eggs were back under her tail exposed. I put them up underneath her. I also closed off half of the rubbermaid tote snce she gets upset when the little turds go to far away. I attached a wireless security camera to the brooder so I can watch them from another room. She is very adamant about tidbitting she does it constantly. They are eating fine. I'm concerned she will get absent minded about the eggs. She is still laying down now. Am I being paranoid? lol I thought about making the room dark so she would relax.

Your not being paranoid lol just visual. Calm down momma hen knows best :) how about a pic of her :)

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a while so I thought I'd share some pictures
1f60f.png

This is Early, my black rooster (obviously
1f60a.png
). He's about 10 months old now. What do y'all think of him? He's got a lovely beetle green sheen on his wings, back and cushion. He does have some leakage on the back of his neck, but its so light i cant tell if its silver or gold. I also think his wings are a bit low, but considering I paid $5 for him at a yard sale, I guess I can't complain.

And my favorite hen, Wendy, looking fabulous after her moult. None of my other girls wanted to stand still for pictures (boogers).

Back
Top Bottom