Silkie thread!

We have an 11 day old chick that had a black silkie dad and either a white or black silkie momma...but this little guy seems to be getting regular feathers!! Is this possible?!?
Yes! This is possible. It is called a smooth silky. These birds book like silkies and are silkies but have just regular feathers. I find them very beautiful. You will love her!

Yes! This is possible. It is called a smooth silky. These birds book like silkies and are silkies but have just regular feathers. I find them very beautiful. You will love her!

Oh wow!! Very cool!! I learn so much from you all!! Thanks for the reply!! :) I can't wait to see what it looks like grown up!!

No, it is not possible for two silkied parents to have non-silkied offspring.  At least one parent was not silkied.  There is nothing such as a smooth silkie; you are thinking about sizzles.

Both of the possible mommas had silkie feathers...as did the dad...so ??? I don't know... If they all have and show the silkie feathers is it possible for one of them to carry the smooth feather gene? Or is that what always shows? I am new to figuring out this genetic stuff. :)
What do you think about the little cutie in the photo...are you seeing silkie feathers? Thanks for the reply!! :)

My two favorite pieces. I love photographing my chickens, the roosters are always my best subjects =) I really want a better camera so I can capture their true essence better. The quality of the photo really DOES change the whole dynamic of it!

Please can you tell me if all my 'silkies' in the second picture are actually pure silkies? I first had a white smooth silkie who is now about 4 years old and going strong. She is at the front of the first picture and in the third picture. The rest I picked up along the way. None are for showing so don't expect quality!

Your input really would be appreciated x

Last edited:
Please can you tell me if all my 'silkies' are actually silkies? I first had a white smooth silkie who is now about 4 years old and going strong. She is at the front of the second picture and in the third picture. The rest I picked up along the way. None are for showing so don't expect quality!

They are all silkie mixes. Pure silkies would have fluffy feathers, these have smooth

Please can you tell me if all my 'silkies' in the second picture are actually pure silkies? I first had a white smooth silkie who is now about 4 years old and going strong. She is at the front of the first picture and in the third picture. The rest I picked up along the way. None are for showing so don't expect quality!

They are not pure silkie. Two silkies bred together will always produce silkie feathered offspring, so they were mixed with something with regular feathers along the way. This doesn't make them any less lovable, I've had several silkie mixes along the way that have been great pets. I have 2 eggs from this half silkie/half oegb pullet under one of my broody hens right now. She was bred by a pure silkie, so I expect her offspring to have even more silkie traits.

Back
Top Bottom