Silkie thread!

May I please have some opinions. I built my silkies a new coop with a linoleum floor. I have a thick layer of pine shavings for bedding since they dont roost. Well, after a week its getting soiled and stinky quick. Would Stall dry or Sweet PDZ be warm enough for them to sleep on? Then I could use the kitty litter scoop to clean it ever day. I have a cochin hen that is a little handicapped and she sleeps in the stall dry on the droppings board in the cochin coop. I have felt under her on sub-zero nights and she always feels warm.

I
May I please have some opinions. I built my silkies a new coop with a linoleum floor. I have a thick layer of pine shavings for bedding since they dont roost. Well, after a week its getting soiled and stinky quick. Would Stall dry or Sweet PDZ be warm enough for them to sleep on? Then I could use the kitty litter scoop to clean it ever day. I have a cochin hen that is a little handicapped and she sleeps in the stall dry on the droppings board in the cochin coop. I have felt under her on sub-zero nights and she always feels warm.

I use sand in my coop...love it! And my little friends seem to like it fine too. My silkie roosts up with the big girls. :)

It is 9.5 weeks old.

Here's a picture of our little lady! :)

How is the sand in the winter? I thought about using it, but wasn't sure with it in the cold.

It's working GREAT for us!! We woke up to -33 degrees in MT... And all my girls are doing great! I did deep litter last winter and had some moisture build up in my windows...this year they are dry. I am a huge fan of sand!! :)

It's working GREAT for us!! We woke up to -33 degrees in MT... And all my girls are doing great! I did deep litter last winter and had some moisture build up in my windows...this year they are dry. I am a huge fan of sand!!
smile.png
thumbsup.gif
Ok, thanks for the info, I may just do the sand, I didn't know if it would've kept it to cold or not. I kinda did the deep litter thing, but I end up changing it often, just looks dirty to me.

:thumbsup      Ok, thanks for the info, I may just do the sand, I didn't know if it would've kept it to cold or not. I kinda did the deep litter thing, but I end up changing it often, just looks dirty to me.

Yep...that's why I switched. It wasn't stinking ammonia or anything...but just wanted something cleaner. I just use a kitty litter scooper and a bucket and that baby is clean! ;)

Back
Top Bottom