Silkie thread!

I love the shape of this little pullet, but I'm disappointed that her crest turned out so small. I'll most likely keep her anyway, I love her curves. She's very spastic and prissy compared to the rest, she seems to stay much fluffier and whiter than the rest (she's never had a bath, believe it or not!). She started laying within the past month, and has already attempted to go broody in that time.

I love the shape of this little pullet, but I'm disappointed that her crest turned out so small. I'll most likely keep her anyway, I love her curves. She's very spastic and prissy compared to the rest, she seems to stay much fluffier and whiter than the rest (she's never had a bath, believe it or not!). She started laying within the past month, and has already attempted to go broody in that time.
Gorgeous ! I don't bath mine and people are always amazed at how white the whites are. So fancy announced one little boy. Hence my BYC name.

it's okay. she's doing fine so far. will soak the leg 2 more times today, and get some images.

also, my sister put her feathers in a hairclip afterwards, and will get an image of that!
lau.gif
i am glad to hear that she is doing better

I have three silkie chicks(as seen in my avatar), I think they might be around two weeks old, their wings are starting to grow. Does anyone know how old they could be?

Here is the same pic in my avatar but I'll post it here so it can be seen better:

Last edited:
We keep a styptic pencil on hand if bleeding happens after trimming although we've never caused bleeding yet. And yes, it's annoying but every couple days we trim a bit more again. One old Silkie has the curliest toenails because she broods so much from tucking those toes and nails under her.

Question: Has anyone ever tried using the electric nail trimmers like the ones used on canines? I'm always afraid of splitting the brittle Silkie nails with ordinary hand clippers. Any input welcome!
When I clip my flocks nails I use a small pair of dog nail clippers, works like a charm and it never splits the nail, just a nice clean clip every time:}

I am new to chickens and silkies. I have a question, I have 3 hens that just now started laying, and I have a black showgirl rooster in with them, but he is almost 4 months old and crowing. How old are silkie/showgirl roosters before they start breeding. Sorry if this is a silly question. Just curious. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom