Silkie thread!

Thank You emvickrey!

rnchick74! I was right there with you in the ARNG! The only thing is I worked full-time for them. I was medically discharged after 23 years. I'm now a 100% DAV!

I'm really sorry to read about the loss of your fiancee'! Too many good ppl lost!

TC

Thank you! I will! Shouldn't be too hard, I have had them 2 days and already taken 150+ pictures! Lol!

Ha, I think most of us know how that goes. They change so fast. Mine are at the funny looking stage now. Have fuzz, and half feathered. :) And hey........................................

We noticed tonight that one of our silkie chicks feathers are coming in turned upward. I'm wondering if she is a sizzle? I know there were sizzles in previous generations, but the two parents are both silkies... So is that even possible?

They look like normal silkie feathers to me. I had a smooth feathered sizzle from silkie parents.

I keep trying to talk my husband into getting a couple of silkie babies! He keeps responding with; "You better have a place to move to with them"!
rant.gif

TC

If you get Silkies may I suggest something that I should've heeded when I started building my flock?

We added a White Leghorn and Marans to the flock. As pullets everyone got along but eventually at 2-3 years old the LF became bullies and were re-homed. Silkies can hold their own in flock politics but not when the LF are aggressive or are 3x heavier than the Silkies. If Silkies are added to an existing heavy LF flock it will be tough going for the Silkies as they will get picked on. Even as chicks raised with LF chicks the bigger chicks sometimes will pick on the Silkies as they get bigger faster than the Silkies - and Silkies have that soft skull that needs protecting.

We don't get any breeds over 5-lbs now and only known gentle-tempered breeds to mix with the Silkies. We currently have a Buff Leghorn (calmer than either White or Brown Leghorns) and an APA Ameraucana. The Ameraucanas are kooky, goofy, spooky, jittery, jumpy, vocal birds but they are not interested in flock politics and are gentle souls at heart that love to talk to you and let you hold or pet them. In fact I wouldn't mix them with heavy LF either because of their gentle nature. www.OurFlyBabies.com always keep Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas because they will take in orphaned chicks or injured birds into their flock without fuss. A very friendly breed. We want to add a couple of lightweight gentle Breda next Spring to try with the Silkies. We've been assured they are lightweight, gentle, non-broody and good layers. So we'll see. There aren't too many LF I'll consider mixing with Silkies in our small backyard.

Thank You emvickrey!

rnchick74! I was right there with you in the ARNG! The only thing is I worked full-time for them. I was medically discharged after 23 years. I'm now a 100% DAV!

I'm really sorry to read about the loss of your fiancee'! Too many good ppl lost!

TC

I was medically discharged, but only ended up with a 10% disability...long story. That picture is quite moving. Thanks for sharing.

My main boy right now. He was such a gorgeous cockerel, and as he's matured, he's lost a bit of his beauty, but he's still a handsome guy. His comb has gotten larger and made his crest push back more and lose some of its 'poof', and his little wattles have pushed his beard down, but his tail has raised up more. If I put him up away from the girls, his crest would probably regain some of its former glory, but he's so good with his hens and adoptive chicks.
Here he was last summer:

Such a pretty boy. Such a fab crest.

If you get Silkies may I suggest something that I should've heeded when I started building my flock?

We added a White Leghorn and Marans to the flock. As pullets everyone got along but eventually at 2-3 years old the LF became bullies and were re-homed. Silkies can hold their own in flock politics but not when the LF are aggressive or are 3x heavier than the Silkies. If Silkies are added to an existing heavy LF flock it will be tough going for the Silkies as they will get picked on. Even as chicks raised with LF chicks the bigger chicks sometimes will pick on the Silkies as they get bigger faster than the Silkies - and Silkies have that soft skull that needs protecting.

We don't get any breeds over 5-lbs now and only known gentle-tempered breeds to mix with the Silkies. We currently have a Buff Leghorn (calmer than either White or Brown Leghorns) and an APA Ameraucana. The Ameraucanas are kooky, goofy, spooky, jittery, jumpy, vocal birds but they are not interested in flock politics and are gentle souls at heart that love to talk to you and let you hold or pet them. In fact I wouldn't mix them with heavy LF either because of their gentle nature. www.OurFlyBabies.com always keep Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas because they will take in orphaned chicks or injured birds into their flock without fuss. A very friendly breed. We want to add a couple of lightweight gentle Breda next Spring to try with the Silkies. We've been assured they are lightweight, gentle, non-broody and good layers. So we'll see. There aren't too many LF I'll consider mixing with Silkies in our small backyard.
Another thing to know is Silkies don't have a skull to cover their brain. So Brain damage or death would result from a bullying LF bird. The Brown Egg blue egg site has alot of information about silkies. Here is the link to the part about their brain. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

We added a White Leghorn and Marans to the flock.  As pullets everyone got along but eventually at 2-3 years old the LF became bullies and were re-homed.  Silkies can hold their own in flock politics but not when the LF are aggressive or are 3x heavier than the Silkies.  If Silkies are added to an existing heavy LF flock it will be tough going for the Silkies as they will get picked on.  Even as chicks raised with  LF chicks the bigger chicks sometimes will pick on the Silkies as they get bigger faster than the Silkies - and Silkies have that soft skull that needs protecting. 

We don't get any breeds over 5-lbs now and only known gentle-tempered breeds to mix with the Silkies.  We currently have a Buff Leghorn (calmer than either White or Brown Leghorns) and an APA Ameraucana.  The Ameraucanas are kooky, goofy, spooky, jittery, jumpy, vocal birds but they are not interested in flock politics and are gentle souls at heart that love to talk to you and let you hold or pet them.  In fact I wouldn't mix them with heavy LF either because of their gentle nature.  www.OurFlyBabies.com always keep Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas because they will take in orphaned chicks or injured birds into their flock without fuss.  A very friendly breed.  We want to add a couple of lightweight gentle Breda next Spring to try with the Silkies.  We've been assured they are lightweight, gentle, non-broody and good layers.  So we'll see.  There aren't too many LF I'll consider mixing with Silkies in our small backyard.

What about buff orpingtons? Or any orpington?

Sylvester! I know you said you are 70 and forgetful, but come on now my friend! You didn't see these pictures I've already posted? LOL We already have three Silkies my Dear! Two hens and one rooster! They are never allowed together! I do take the two girls outside at night to eat grass and bugs. Miss Fatso Molly is always beating one pound wonder Maria up! Maria wants nothing more than a buddy! So of course she's always trying to hangout with Molly!
barnie.gif
I have found the easy way to keep them separated! Never have to leave my chair either! We use a red laser pointer light to get them to move apart! My Moran Hen is deathly afraid of it! LOL That girl can be anywhere in the yard after dark eating bugs and grass. I tell her several times it's time to come inside. If she gets stubborn and won't come in? I get the laser and point it behind her. She darn near runs me over trying to get in the house and away from the light!

Back
Top Bottom