Silkie thread!

My favorite hen. Her biggest fault is that she's constantly broody! It is rare to see her like this, fully feathered and somewhat clean (she's a bit orange from the new sand I put down), as she will get as dirty as possible and keep her crest and beard and foot feathers worn to nubs as she free ranges and scratches around with her foster chicks. So far this year she's raised 4 turkeys and is now in the process of raising 4 easter eggers.

My favorite hen. Her biggest fault is that she's constantly broody! It is rare to see her like this, fully feathered and somewhat clean (she's a bit orange from the new sand I put down), as she will get as dirty as possible and keep her crest and beard and foot feathers worn to nubs as she free ranges and scratches around with her foster chicks. So far this year she's raised 4 turkeys and is now in the process of raising 4 easter eggers.
Wow, does she have eyes?

Wow, does she have eyes?
Yep! I normally keep a "path" trimmed between her crest and beard, but when she's "at ease" like in these pictures, she sort of tucks her head down and you can't even tell that there's been any trimming at all.
Here you go, proof of eyes! This was her two years ago, as a awkward teenage chick.

Wow! She is stunning!

Oh Sly you have a kind soul. I have special needs chickens too. It is frustrating to see people do nothing about crooked toes when it is so easily corrected but I feel that cross beak is another matter. I'm a hands on kind a girl. Have had to take matters into my own hands several times when a vet just couldn't make it, but manipulation or bracing of a birds beak is something I would only consider under the strict supervision of a vet. The link I gave you from chicken chick is a practical approach to an all too common problem. Responsible breeding is a must!
This link may satisfy your enquiring mind.

http://beautyofbirds.com/scissorsbeak.html

I figured there HAD to be a way to fix crossed beaks and your article showed it possible.

We watched a documentary on birds where injured birds were rehabbed with wing or leg splints or with prosthetic beaks after being abused or shot. I felt there had to be a way to fix these birds. We even watched a surgery on a Pelican's leg who otherwise would've died if it couldn't use it. What is satisfying is watching the majority of these birds being able to be returned to the natural wild.

Vet expense is never cheap. My daughter spent over $5000 USD on one surgery for her animal. She spent another $1000 last month on another dog's surgery. Thank goodness she and her DH are responsible to not own pets unless they can afford it. I rely on my vet so much that he's on my auto-dial for emergencies. We can't afford vet expense or licensing on owning a dog but owning chickens is fitting to our budget and very rewarding as pets.

Your article also mentioned that parent-raised chicks don't get the cross-beaks maybe because of the way the parent latches onto the chick's beak during all the feeding sessions - a natural brace by the parent to form the chick's beak - nature is very clever. After reading this I'm more convinced than ever not to use incubators. I decided against raising chicks artificially and everything points to it being best to use a broody. Let the broody have all the fun hatching and raising them!

Thx for the article reference!

This is my pullet Roxy. She's a beauty.
pe3yde5y.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There's someone offering a splash rooster on the Thread if you are interested! If it's still available that is! He's a gorgeous Roo!

TC
Thank you for the reply TC. But I cant have a roo :(

WOW! Beautiful!

I figured there HAD to be a way to fix crossed beaks and your article showed it possible. 

We watched a documentary on birds where injured birds were rehabbed with wing or leg splints or with prosthetic beaks after being abused or shot.  I felt there had to be a way to fix these birds.  We even watched a surgery on a Pelican's leg who otherwise would've died if it couldn't use it.  What is satisfying is watching the majority of these birds being able to be returned to the natural wild.

Vet expense is never cheap.  My daughter spent over $5000 USD on one surgery for her animal.  She spent another $1000 last month on another dog's surgery.  Thank goodness she and her DH are responsible to not own pets unless they can afford it.  I rely on my vet so much that he's on my auto-dial for emergencies.  We can't afford vet expense or licensing on owning a dog but owning chickens is fitting to our budget and very rewarding as pets.

Your article also mentioned that parent-raised chicks don't get the cross-beaks maybe because of the way the parent latches onto the chick's beak during all the feeding sessions - a natural brace by the parent to form the chick's beak - nature is very clever.  After reading this I'm more convinced than ever not to use incubators.  I decided against raising chicks artificially and everything points to it being best to use a broody.  Let the broody have all the fun hatching and raising them!

Thx for the article reference! 

We all do what we can. My daughter is on a crusade to save all the ' off the track thoroughbreds ' that our paddocks will hold. She has saved 3 from the ' dog truck ' 2 of which she has worked so hard with they along with her are on our state youth development squad. It is imperative to research as much as you can about which ever animal is in your care as sometimes a vet is miles away and time is of the essence. I have a good relationship with all my vets. Avian, small animal and equine. Yes 3 different vets. With horses you have to be prepared for just about anything . Impailment on star pickets, caught in fencing wire and numerous travel injuries just to mention a few. My husband has served 30 years in the navy so he's no ' shrinking violet ' he gives the horses their injection and he has even stitched a goat 's stomached up. I'm always there helping out and doing the nurse bits. I know each and every one of my chickens and couldn't possibly eat one. A few years ago I spent 3 years in hospital and after many rounds of chemo I was sent home to ' wait and see '. My chickens were my therapy. We eat their eggs and I make a nice little profit selling hatching eggs. I keep my birds as close to SOP as possible because I know that I can find homes for good quality Roos but nobody wants mutts. That's just the way of the world!

love.gif
Love her. You should get a nice rabbit cage to break her from being broody all the time..give her a break. They say, three days in,,try having her out for a while, she if she goes to nest, if so, try three more days. The cool air coming in beneath her keeps her chest warm, and supposedly this works to break a broody. I have a nice large one, haven't had to use it yet..but ready when I get all of those girls starting up. Of course, you have feed and water in there for her. The squares of the bottom of the cage shouldn't be too big for her..you can eyeball it and figure out what would be good for her to walk on. This bird is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom